Big suprise

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rgbdab, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I had a doe kid yesterday with triplets and one is due on Saturday, so imagine my surprise when I saw a big wet spot on the ground when I was feeding this evening. It seemed out of place and I started looking at the girls behinds and the second one I checked had some mucous hanging. I didn't even know she was pregnant! I bought her last June and the owner thought she was pregnant and due in August. Her belly was very big and she looked pregnant but August came and went with nothing. She never bagged up and Sept and Oct went by and she looked the same so I figured that is her shape, she's seven and has had who knows how many kids so she just looks that way. I never saw her breed with my buck so I really had no idea she was bred, until this evening. I hustled her off to a kidding pen, thank God its in the mid 40's tonight, and she was eating and then squatting and pushing, then eating again. SHe kidded 2 boy kids an 8lb and a 6lb, but she has NO milk. I had a tube of colostrom which i divided between them and I have some frozen milk from a doe that kidded in Sept with one kid and I thawed it out and they each took about an ounce. I am hoping she will get milk, but I've never had one kid without milk before so I just don't know. Does anyone know if that is likely?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Congrats!!! What an awesome surprise!! :stars:

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow, what a surprise! I hope she gets her milk in soon.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It can happen...if her teats are accessible get those boys latched onto her....they will stimulate her enough to produce...you may even have to massage her udder and squeeze her teats to help them out, her milk should come in within 2-3 days, if those babies seem to be hungry and you don't feel bellies on them, supplement them. Also, if you can weigh them daily to see that they don't lose any weight.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    do you have oxytocin? Often an injection of that will stimulate milk production...

also give her plenty of high protein food - eg soya meal.

6. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Good news, this morning I am able to express drops of colostrum from her teats so I think she is getting some milk. I had already fed the kids so I'll try to get them on her in a few hours if they don't do it themselves. :eek:)

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Don't you just love good surprises like that? What wonderful news. What I did for a doe that kidded once and had no bag at all, i gave her all the warm molasses water that she would drink. The more she drinks and the more those babies try to nurse she hopefully will get a good bag on her.

HEY, where are the pictures?

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Also, did she eat the after birth? That will help her.

9. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    she still has the afterbirth hanging, but I've never left it with the doe before, I usually through it to the LGDs. Should I let her eat it if she ever passes it?

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I worry about them choking on it if they eat it....so I usually don't let them. :shrug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is really very good for them. It has a lot of vitamins and stuff for the, It also helps to let their milk down. Some will eat all of it and other sill only eat some of it.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats... :) :leap:

If she kidded on tuesday and still has her afterbirth hanging.... contact a vet.....to see what he/she can do....
    she is at jeopardy....and may get sick from infection... :worried:

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah if the afterbirth is still hanging she needs to see a vet. THey should expell it in 24 hours if not then she needs a shot to help her do so

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH wow I was just thinking about the wonderful surprise. Sorry about that.
    DO you have any oxeytocen? (SP) That will help to expel it also, if not PLEASE call the vet.

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, oxytocin to get rid of placenta and bring on the milk.

A lot of my does will eat the placenta if they expel it soon after the birth. I've never seen one with retained placenta eat it once it comes out - because in these cases it is pretty nasty by then. I've also never seen one choke on it. It is quite disgusting watching them eat it though.

Letting your LGD eat the placenta is a really good way to spread intestinal parasites, btw, I cant think of the specific parasite at the moment but there is one that requires maturation in the dog and gets there by dogs eating placenta. Then the dog excretes the parasite onto the ground where the goats pick it up ... and the cycle goes again.

Eating the placenta assist in the involution of the uterus, and the quicker this occurs the quicker the doe 'bounces back', also the quicker she cycles again after parturition (if you are breeding all year round).

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with Keren, whatever is left of the placenta about a half an hour/hour after she expells it, we throw in an old feed bag and burn, but we do give ours (does) the option to consume it.

17. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks all, she expelled the placenta at about 24 hours. Yea!

I had no idea about the parasite/LGD issue, I was told by someone that it was good to let the LGDs have it, but now I will have to do some research. If you think of the specific parasite, please PM me.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    terrific news.... :leap:

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So where are pics - you know you have to post them - LOL!