Bills Hurt! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Feb 5, 2011.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Last night, I kept my rabbits in the barn with Bill to prevent them freezing. This morning, I discovered Bill with multiple cuts and scratches! The insides of his hocks look like to be cut, but he won't let me near to touch or investigate. He's got really bad scratches around his one eye, and then one half of his nose is scabbed over. It's all scabbed over, so it had to have happened sometime in the night after night check-in. My dad says he'll be okay, and I shouldn't call the vet, but I don't think so. I got the area around his nose wiped up, so there isn't any dried blood or anything, but getting closer to his eye or his legs will not happen. I dont' know what to do! Can you help me?!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you can't get to the wounds ...maybe start antibiotics just in case.... :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how deep are the scratches?

Did the rabbits do it? that seems awfully strange

4. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    The scratches aren't very deep, which I am very thankful for. I am pretty sure the rabbits would have done it- bill likes to lick their ears, and if they were all cuddled up together, it's very seeable how a rabbit could scratch eyes and nose while Bill was laying down. Although I don't understand the leg wounds, they are in very awkward places (inside of legs) and I am wondering if he tried to jump onto something that had a rough nail/sharp edge. I looked all over the barn this afternoon, but I couldn't find a thing.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad they are superficial wounds... :hi5:

Strange on how it happen...it sure is a mystery.... :help: :scratch:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you have scarlet oil I would spray it on the legs. Good luck.

7. rocky_ridge_goats

Aug 6, 2010
    He's loads better now- only a bruise around his eye. His legs are sound again, and he will let me touch them to investigate. They were just superficial flesh wounds, which I was very thankful for. He was stiff for a day, but it got better once he got the blood moving and exercising.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad.. he is better... :hi5: