The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little buckling I rescued is doing well. He was already in poor poor shape when I it him. I wormed him treated him for coccidia and took care of his lice problem and hoped he would get better . Yesterday he took a turn for the worse. I actually found him laying very awkward and thought he was dead but I guess he was just sleeping. He has no energy and stands off to him self and was grinding his teeth. His lids are very white. So I took him to he vet today to try to save him. He vet wasn't able to get a fecal sample but he wormed him with cydectin and gave him a vit b injection with iron and put him on a 5 day corid treatment and said to hope for the best. He's such a tiny and sweet little guy and didnt have a good life before I got him. I just hope that he can pull through this.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet by rights, should of did a fecal on him. He was already treated for cocci you said, why do it again if maybe not needed.

Good luck with him, hope he pulls through. :(
He tried to get a sample but was unable to. And he acted as though he wasn't pleased with the wormers and coccidia meds that I used for some reason. He did tell me to collect a sample and bring it in in a week or so if he makes it that long.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Grinding teeth is gut pain...I would be giving him cd antitoxin. Offer or drench electrolytes in him to keep him hydrated...the B the Vet gave should give him a bit of a boost. I agree with Pam, if he was already treated for cocci, seem odd to retreat again., Corid in his weakend state concerns me..POLIO is very real and in his weakend state a huge possibilty..I would choose another cocci treament if you decide to treat....the anemia could be from another worm..If you have valbazen I would go a head and dose him 1 cc per 10#..3cc Red cell tomorrow since he got a shot today, and then 1 1/2 cc for a week then once a week until his eyes have good color...offer him green leaves to get him eating..daily B complex would help as well as probios..I wouldnt wait to do a fecal..as soon as he poops..take a sample in....best wishes

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grinding teeth is gut pain...I would be giving him cd antitoxin. Offer or drench electrolytes in him to keep him hydrated...the B the Vet gave should give him a bit of a boost. I agree with Pam, if he was already treated for cocci, seem odd to retreat again., Corid in his weakend state concerns me..POLIO is very real and in his weakend state a huge possibilty..I would choose another cocci treament if you decide to treat....the anemia could be from another worm..If you have valbazen I would go a head and dose him 1 cc per 10#..3cc Red cell tomorrow since he got a shot today, and then 1 1/2 cc for a week then once a week until his eyes have good color...offer him green leaves to get him eating..daily B complex would help as well as probios..I wouldnt wait to do a fecal..as soon as he poops..take a sample in....best wishes
I use toltrazuril to treat/prevent cocci and treated him with it when i brought him home.should I use that again instead of the corid the vet gave? I asked the vet for something to help with his Anemia He didn't have anything for goats only cats and dogs. Where can I get the red cell? Does tsc have it? I don't have any valbazen yet only safe guard at the moment. He is still eating very little same as since I got him though and drinking and I put him a small limb of leaves to munch on

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
First off..when was he wormed and treated for cocci? has it been 3 weeks at least?
I would stick wih the toltrazuril...so much safer and works great...only one dose of 1 cc per 5#, less stressful too : ) TSC has Red cell, should also have B complex plus..for the B 12 he needs...
Anemia brings them way down. and even though you may have taken care of the worm issue..if he was already anemic, do to worms, cocci and lice and then not being a hardy eater, he needs help to boost his iron...he may not need wormer at all..A fecal will give you answers...I would scoop some poop up and have it tested before worming...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off..when was he wormed and treated for cocci? has it been 3 weeks at least?
I would stick wih the toltrazuril...so much safer and works great...only one dose of 1 cc per 5#, less stressful too : ) TSC has Red cell, should also have B complex plus..for the B 12 he needs...
Anemia brings them way down. and even though you may have taken care of the worm issue..if he was already anemic, do to worms, cocci and lice and then not being a hardy eater, he needs help to boost his iron...he may not need wormer at all..A fecal will give you answers...I would scoop some poop up and have it tested before worming...
Ok I'll pick up the things he needs at tsc today and take a sample by the vets in the morning. There's no way I can make it today before the vet office closes.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should I wait until tomorrow to give him the tolt. Since the vet already gave him a dose of corid today?

·
Super Moderator
83,746 Posts
Did the vet try to reach in his bum, to get the poo sample? If not, that is one way to get it quicker. Put on gloves, and reach in and put some in a sandwich baggy.
I know it is gross, but your goat needs it done as soon as possible.

My opinion is, you need a fecal, before you treat him for anything else. Further unnecessary treatment, will pull him down further, if he does not need it.
A fecal will let you know, where he is and what wormer or cocci treatment he should or should not have. If you want true answers for treatment, that he may or may not need. :(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the vet try to reach in his bum, to get the poo sample? If not, that is one way to get it quicker. Put on gloves, and reach in and put some in a sandwich baggy.
I know it is gross, but your goat needs it done as soon as possible.

My opinion is, you need a fecal, before you treat him for anything else. Further unnecessary treatment, will pull him down further, if he does not need it.
A fecal will let you know, where he is and what wormer or cocci treatment he should or should not have. If you want true answers for treatment, that he may or may not need. :(
Yes he stuck a long stick with a hole at the end to try to get one. Yesterday he had the runs on his bottom and legs but this morning he pooped a really hard clump. But I haven't seen him poop again to collect anything.

·
Super Moderator
59,272 Posts
If the Corid treatment has been started, then I would finish it. Especially if you are seeing improvement in the stool.

I know of a local farm whose herd is immune to tolt. Used it at correct dosage as preventative and coccidia ran rampant through her herd anyway.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Yes that is the correct red cell

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the Corid treatment has been started, then I would finish it. Especially if you are seeing improvement in the stool.

I know of a local farm whose herd is immune to tolt. Used it at correct dosage as preventative and coccidia ran rampant through her herd anyway.
The stool had improved before I took him to the vet and was given the corid

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
that is puzzling since Baycox is a one time treatment ( some times two) how can a whole herd grow immune to it? Im wondering if its the preventive that is causeing this..too many are giving it every few months, I think giving it at 3 weeks old then only as needed is a better use of the meds then to over use it...with any wormer, its the use whennot needed that causes problems..My 2 cents any way lol..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeez.... I've got him in a pen with a clean wood floor so that I could easily see if he poops to collect it but still nothing. Could he be constipated???

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
could be... feel his tummy..is it hard and bulgy?? Is his back arches...head down?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts