The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and new to goats. My friends gifted me a doe a few years ago and have been keeping her at their farm. This year they rented a buck and never got around to returning him. A few weeks ago I noticed he seemed a bit thin and was loosing hair on both of his shoulders (I live in Indiana so it's cold here in the winter). Nothing was done for him and yesterday my friends found him dead for "no apparent reason" they won't take his body for testing and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it might be and if it could be contagious?

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Welcome to The Goat Spot, so sorry for your experience...Too many things could have gone wrong, there is a lot of factors to consider...like How was he fed? any loose minerals provided? You said he was thin and balding, was he standing off tohimself, hunched up..sad looking or was he still eating and some what active? Did he have a pen buddy or was he alone...some possibilities based on what we know are parasites, mites and the combo of the two can cause anemia...anemia will kill. Johnes disease is a wasting away disease ...CAE..either way, their neglect to address his issues is sad...I agree they need to tell the owner..I would also bring my goat home if you can since if there seems to be neglect and just not a over sight...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly I didn't know the buck well. My friends rented him as a stud for all our girls. He was not a very friendly guy, skittish with people and hid a lot. My friends had him from September till he died- they just had gotten "too busy" to return him. As for feeding and such- they feed the goats hay twice a day but I don't feel they feed them enough. I can't get to the goats everyday but every time I go check on them They are low on water too (I just bought a house so won't get my girls till this spring. I can hardly wait cause my 2 girls spent the entire summer in a 10 x 10 pen cause my friends can't keep the mama in the grass pasture and she gets into the garden and the cash rent crop. I found my doe extremely too skinny a few months back but once I bough goat grain and calf manna for them she fattened up well so I believe she was just literally starving)

·
Super Moderator
58,252 Posts
The buck came from another home and was probably in rut. That is a great opportunity for parasites. You can't treat everyone the same. Situations can call for different treatment. That buck needed more food and have a fecal done and treat appropriately for any parasites found.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
I agree...you can have a pasture full of goats and only one gets sick..part of owning goats is knowing your herd, even if he was leased...they should have realized something was not right when he began to drop weight and loose hair... When you went to see your goats, you saw right away they were thin and you did something about it...that is what caring people do...they care...Im sorry, not to be harsh about your friend, but they may have too much on their plate or truly don't have an idea of what they are doing, and maybe you can step in and educate them OR they don't care, and that alone would be reason to say something. You know your friends, we don't, we can only go by what we are told...Its obvious this bothered you and makes you concerned for your own goats, as it should...I hope you know you have support here...since you are able to see your girls every few days, that gives you opportunity to check their health and over all condition, maybe point out a few things at a time that need to be changed with their husbandry, like hay being out 24/7 and fresh clean water daily is a must...if you see a situation you don't know how to handle...ask us here...we can give advice for you to take back with you...maybe together we can help them improve their care....

best wishes

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doesn't matter,his needs were not being met,either he was wormy and lack of good food.
When an animal is not well,it's overlooked and they get worse,not blaming you for this but,it's a sad thing to have to deal with. :hug:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I did all I could. My friends always seem to have things come up or happen that makes the animals take a back seat. They got into raising goats with little knowledge and don't seem interested in learning or listening to me. I informed them as soon as I saw he was thin and loosing hair. They claimed they hadn't noticed and said he didn't look to bad to them. I also informed the owner of the buck and sent her a pic of him. This is the pic. It was taken about a week and a half before he died. ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1423664510.340666.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1423664510.340666.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
oh poor guy..he looks wormy and looks to have mites or lice..most likely both! looks to need copper..and a lot more groceries!!

Good for you letting the owner know...if you can find a new situation for your does..I would ASAP .. these folks do not need goats...or any animal..if they do not have time to care for them...they don't need them...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly even the owner didn't seem to care much. She just assumed that my friends were doing all they could for the goats.

My girls should be coming home to me sometime this spring (hoping it will be before they kid but that depends on how fast my hubby and I can get a goat shed up and an area fenced well. Which is hard when I work 2 jobs and he works 12 he nights)

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
well at least the bucks suffering is over...such a sad deal...

Good luck with your plans on the goat shed!! I don't think I would want my goats to kid there either..

best wishes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts