Binkey?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Mar 5, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With Binkey's devastating delivery of a stillborn buckling and the fact that I had to stretch my girl to the max to deliver him she is obviously very sore.
    She is eating, nibbling here and there mainly, but she is hurting. She is on Pen G at 1cc per 20#....she's had 3.5cc as well as 2 squirts nutri drench, she didn't care for that. She is ruminating, her gut is moving though I've not seen her chew cud, she's also had some probiotic paste....her udder is soft, not hard and I did get to milk out about a pint of colostrum, I'm sure the movement of her udder stimulated her uterus causing discomfort.
    I don't have Banamine handy and Ashley suggessted aspirin for her pain, is there anything I can do for the swelling on her pooch? I can try a warm compress after work tomorrow afternoon, will that help?

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would thik that would work for her...I can't imagine she is comfortable...hope she stars feelig better.

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    :hug: I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and I hope whatever you give her helps her poor sore body!!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you can get your hands on some Arnica 30c that works wonderful on painful mothers. Helps to heal the uterus and relieve bruising, swelling, etc. And it is a homeopathic, not a drug. Good stuff for everyone to have on hand.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    How about preperation H on her vulva? Heard that helps.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    i know when "my pooch" hurt after a hard birth - they gave me ice for down there.......

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor girl.... she must be in tremendous pain.... : :(

I am sorry... for your loss.....( :hug:

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yep those medicated prep-H pads are miracle workers.... they helped me after the rough delivery of my last son (9lbs 3 oz... delivered in MY BATHROOM at home!!!! He came fast....but it sure HURT!!! LOL) When my doe Poppy delivered her trips (one dead) she was really sick for about 3 days.... I gave her tums, yogurt and 12cc of Goatade (2x per day for the goatade) and a warm oatmeal/alfalfa pellet mash. It really helped her.... she was in a lot of pain so I also had to blanket her for 3 days... we had a cold spurt and she was shivering.... her body had just been through too much. She is fine now but it took her 5 days before she was acting like her usual self again.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto on the Arnica, also offer her plenty of warm water mixed with molasses, you can also put raisins in the water to make it sweeter and add more iron and b vitamins. I would also give her vitamin C mixed in her water if you have it, high doses will ward off infection and it can also have cleansing properties. I hope she feels better soon.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Very sorry about the loss. :(

Yeah, Preparation H should bring some relief pretty much immediately.

11. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yes as Kelebek suggested- ice! You dont want warm- thats not going to bring swelling down
    I remember they gave me these pads that were witch hazel I think? and ice (brrrr) but those witch hazel pads were amazing- I am sure you can find those in a drugstore somewhere

I recently had a small doe deliver (one baby was dead and it took me a long time to get it turned around and out) and she was very very swollen and even torn a bit- but with washing the area twice a day with cold water and betadine, penicillen and some banamine, she was back to normal in no time at all

I hope your girl feels better soon!

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :hug: for you and Binky...... :( ......hope she is back to herself soon!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you all so much :hug: She is being "Binkey" today....she's stopped crying for her baby and she's eating and drinking, She didn't move while I gave her the pen shot and she's enjoying the water mix I made up for her...she's also been letting me milk her out, in the stall as for now, I think it's better for her to not have to jump up on the stand.
    She is quite content to be with the others and is eating her hay alongside Heidi.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like shes enjoying being pampered!

hope she continues to improve

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats great to hear Liz. Still heartbroken for you though :(

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My mama has moments of "looking" for her baby, but she is herself. She was even sparring a little with Penny. I did take her temp tonite, just to reassure myself and it was 101.7, so she's normal and has had 2 doses of Pen G so far.
    She'll allow me to milk her out while she's in her stall with no problems, I picked her up and put her on the stand and wow did she not want me touching her udder! In the stall...all went well, on the stand not so well....I'm pretty sure she's "adopted" me thats why she lets me when she is in the stall. :shrug:

She isn't as swollen as she was and she is eliminating normally, still has bouts of discharge and so far it's been normal after delivery type mucous/fluids, no foul smell.

17. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Sending gentle :hug: as she continues to heal-both body and heart.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since Binkey's stillbirth, it's been 7 days since her last Pen G injection (on it 10 days) and she's been doing WONDERFUL. I think I can say now that she is 100% healthy, I was told that if an infection were to arise even with the Pen, it would happen 3-5 days after the lasdt injection...it's been 7 now so I hope she continues doing well.

She will still "look" behind her at times and she has been doing great in the milk pail though it really pains me to be giving almost 2 quarts of milk to my dogs! I won'rt be able to use it until next week due to the Pen G.

Thank you all for the help as well as the support :hug:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use it 3 days after the last injection -- so if its been 7days since the last one then I would use it :shrug:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh....I was going by the withdrawal time on FiasCo Farm site. I don't have a problem myself with using it sooner, but DH has an allergy to Penicillan so I figured that I would go by the longer period of time...Just in case.