Biomycin ? milk withdrawal time?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I have a couple of goats who are either suffering from allergies or a cold... POSSIBLY pink eye, but I'm not sure. I think it's probably allergies or colds that have turned into respiratory infections. I have some Biomycin on the way for treatment, but I wondered if I should give it to everyone since everyone has been exposed or whether I should just treat those showing outward symptoms. Also, I know dosing is 4cc every third day for a week, but does anyone know if there is a milk withdrawal time and what that would be?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sit ... rence.html

Found this from this link:
    Warning
    Discontinue treatment after Sub-Q or IM use 28 days prior to slaughter of cattle or swine. Milk taken from animals during treatment and for 96 hours after the last treatment must not be used for food. Consult a veterinarian if improvement is not noted within 24 to 48 hours after initial treatment. Store at controlled room temperature 15¬? - 30¬? C (59¬? - 86¬? F). Keep from freezing.

Do your goats have cloudiness in the center of the eye pupil and or ulceration there?
    Explain.. what you are seeing...
    No... I wouldn't treat an animal ..unless they are showing symptoms and signs of illness.....Separate the sick goats.. away from the rest of the herd ..and treat those that are sick... :hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    A pic of the eye would be nice..I can compare it to what my buck just went through.

4. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I will try to get a pic this afternoon. Thanks! I got some LA-200 from TSC. Going to go ahead and start her on that. Got terramycin, too. Got some solution for her eyes and some listerine, too, just in case. Going out right now to see how everyone is doing. I'll get her on the milk stand and get a better look at the eye to see if there is any ulceration or not. It didn't look like it this morning. It looked like it was a little milky, cloudy white on the pupil but I didn't see anything more. I will let you know in a bit...

5. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Well, the problem must have been bacterial or something. I gave Kadabra 2 shots of LA-200 and the eye completely cleared up. It's back to normal. :)

Angie

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is great news........ :leap: