BioPRYN question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    I sent in the first sample and got the results today
    Angel my PB Alpine is due in February 14th!

question is about her level of PSPB, Pregnancy-Specific Protein B (PSPB)
    They consider a goat pregnant when the level reaches .178 at 30ish days of pregnancy
    Well Angel's came back as .8251, and I drew her blood at day 27!
    Does that mean she could be carrying more than one kid?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    got the other three reports too
    Boers:
    Narcisuss - Open
    Katie- Open
    Javelin - Pregnant .979 !!!

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Unfortunately the "numbers" have no indication of how many, how far gestation, or anything like that. For that particular batch of tests, that is just the cut off ranges on pregnant, poss and retest, and not pregnant. I have asked the same question to chuck ;-)

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Thanks, I got a reply shortly after I sent a question out to Chuck

" Hi Katrina - unlike the cattle assay, for goats and sheep the results are pretty much YES / NO. In cows, the PSPB levels stay fairly constant from around day 30 to 70, then start to increase and continue to do so right up to calving. It may be that this same thing occurs in all ungulates, but the antibodies I am currently using in the assay may only detect a subest of all the PSPB proteins present, and this subset remains fairly constant throughout gestation.

We did a small study about a year ago on 275 goats of mixed breed and size, comparing our assay with ultrasound, and looking at if the OD values correlated with anything. It seems like PSPB levels are pretty much a matter of the physiology of each animal, and multiple embryos don't really have any effect. They may on other 'flavors' of PSPB, it's just that the current antibodies don't detect those flavors.

It looks like she has a good read on the assay so from my end I think things look fine. It's when someone comes back with an OD value that is not much higher than the threshold limits (in this case an OD of maybe 0.2) would raise a flag and I'd suggest running another sample in a week or so to make sure she has not lost an embryo and we are looking at declining levels of PSPB as it clears from the serum.

I hope this helps some. If you have other questions or concerns please feel free to call or email me "

interesting, I wish it would let me know how many kiddos she'll have.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It's like Doctor talk...for something so simple.... we get a complex answer...LOL :wink: :thumb:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah. LOL

I had to read it twice.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh: :thumbup: