The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got our pregnancy confirmations (yay!!!) via BioPRYN blood tests and now I'm curious, did anyone find a correlation between the hormone levels found on the test and the litter size their doe had?

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Interesting idea. I should look at mine

·
Registered
49 Posts
This could be an interesting 'study'! I'll be testing my doe next month, so we should keep this thread going and see if there is a correlation!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Following! I'm going to use BioPRYN to test my doe as soon as I can get the supplies and draw her blood.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love it if we can all collect that info and see if there's any correlation! I was just kind of thinking, like in a woman with twins her hormone levels are much higher than in a singleton pregnancy so, maybe there's something to it? My girls aren't due until late April so I'll have to wait a while. Lol!

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Here are numbers from some of my does, none of these have kidded yet.
Numbers.png

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tested my first doe at 32 days past bred and she was at 1.032, I tested my other three at two months bred and they ranged from .8-.9.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Mine range all over the place, didn't seem to have any relation to how far along they were.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I feel as though this is a lot like humans. Although there is a correlation between the levels and multiples. the levels will also increase throughout the pregnancy. I don't think it would actually be to helpful though because as shown below in an HCG chart every person/doe and every pregnancy can have a huge degree of difference in levels. It add an even bigger factor that does can have up to quints easily.
I'm just not sure if there is a reliable way to set up a scenario where you could set up the standards to be able to determine quantity.

View attachment 113897
Yep, and you could be pregnant with multiples and then one absorb the other and still keep that number. This is interesting and I'd be surprised if they haven't attempted to study this yet.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked but couldn't find any studies, but maybe I didn't look in the right places! I just thought it'd be interesting to know. My girl at 40 days pregnant tested at .98 and my doe at 32 days tested at .74.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have always questioned if the levels related to gestation age and how many babies there are. I think to really know, you would have to track a particular doe. We all know that all pregnancies are different. I have begun to track a couple and I'm going to give it another couple of years and see if there is a difference in levels the by taking blood at the same gestation every year and then after kidding, based on how many kids are born if the levels are higher or lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts