Biotracking for CL/CAE?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by pennylullabelle, Dec 4, 2009.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I've tried to contact biotracking but haven't had any luck. :shrug: I want to send in samples from my does and buck for CAE, but does anyone know if they test for CL as well? The buck is from a CAE/CL negative herd, but updated results can't hurt. :thumbup: The does have never been tested for either - the hobby breeder they came from was a lil bit ignorant to the concerns. :roll: Anywho, just want results before kids are born. I want to dam raise but will bottle feed if the does are positive for CAE.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Biotracking only tests for cae.

3. pennylullabelle

Thanks. Do you test your herd for CL? How?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    To test for CL its through WADDL

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I have tested my herd before for CL. You can blood test or send in a culture of an abscess if/when one of your goats ever gets one.

Biotracking is thinking about developing testing for Cl, but have not had enough interest to put the money into it. So, as of right now I only know of WADDL for cl testing, but Cornell may test as well.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I go through WADDL as well. I just do CAE and CL in one.
    beth

7. pennylullabelle

Cool, I'll check them out too. Thank you!

8. pennylullabelle

Okay, on the WADDL page there is just SO much information! Can anyone help a newbie learn the proper steps? I want to test for CAE, CL and confirm pregnancy.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you cant confirm pregnancy with WADDL thats only through biotracking.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Testing through WADDL http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/fees.aspx Scroll down to: Immunodiagnostics / Serology you can see the pricing.

oh and they do have a 10.00 fee for processing any out of state testing so be sure to calculate that in. I mail it priority mail and if you get it in like by tuesday you can get results by friday I think it is.

What I do is use this form: General WADDL Accession Form http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/forms.aspx

I fill out the part that says: Owner and leave the top part blank

One tube per goat -- try to have at least 2cc per test so if you want 3 tests done have 6ccs of blood (they can do it with less but just in case there is a possible mistake they will redo the test if there is enough blood).

Label each tube with either a number or the goats name (or both)
    use this form to tell what test you want done: Identification Form for Multiple Animals (same link above)

Each tube should be labeled with the number it is on the sheet and the name of the animal or number of the animal. (I use their name for easy identification).

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you can send in one tube of blood to WADDL for CAE / CL and have pregnancy also done - is what they do is send out serum to biotracking as a contractor for the preg testing.