Biotracking questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am curious if anyone has ever used Biotracking for pregnancy testing on their goats.

I think that I am going to test 5 of my goats.

I am curious what you thought about them (good or bad), if the tests were reliable (iyo), and how impressed you were if you did use them.

Thanks
    Allison

2. I will be using them in Dec. They are highly reccomended by lots of big breeders I know on other forums.
    They have been using them for preg checks for at least couple years. Upon the breeders suggestion biotracking has just recently started offering the CAE test also. .....one needle stick and you can get 2 tests done, very cool :thumb:

I could post a link on a discussion about it but its to another forum and I am not sure if that is allowed her?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you can PM me the link that would be a great thing.

I test my herd yearly for CAE/CL/Johnes through WADDL. I am a very firm believer that those tests need to be done through a licensed Veterinary, state lab. (had a BAD experience with one that was not!!! but that is a soap box of mine!)

Thanks
    Allison

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, What the heck are you you talking about? I have never heard of it.

Would you please explain?

Thanks

5. biotracking.com

They test blood to check for pregnancies and also for CAE testing on goats.
    They use the same ELISA test that WSU use for Cae and they give titer levels.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OOOHHHHH. It sounds like it is some sort of tracking system, so if like one got out, they could track them.

I have thought about this. do you draw your own blood and send it in yourself? What is the price?

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Pregnancy testing is $7.50 per animal and CAE is $4.00.

Yes, you draw the blood yourself and mail. The CAE testing is the same price through WADDL for me as it is there and I can have all my other serology testing done at WADDL also. The other benifit for me (and others) is with WADDL you can use their FED EX account and receive their discount and be billed for the shipping costs instead of paying high rates up front for shipping.

Thank you for the info Mystic :)

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Do you have to use their shipping package? I have all the syringes, needles, tubes and what not already?

I am calling them to set up my account now - I will ask :)

Thanks again.

Have you used them personally? If so, how long ago?

10. I have not yet but like I said they come highly reccomended by breeders whom I would trust the lives of my goats with.
    I sent you a pm :)

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    got it! :wink:

Thank you!

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok - just talked to Jeremy at Biotracking.

You do not have to order their "kit" unless you need the syringes, needles, and tubes. Otherwise you can get them locally or order your own in and use them.

You do not have to call to set up an account - you can print the forms needed off the website and mail the samples

They prefer that you send payment at the time samples are sent - but it is not mandatory.

So next weekend (not this coming one but the following - halloween weekend) I will be drawing on 5 girls and mailing them in. I believe that 2 are pregnant - Dora and Ginger - but am wondering if Trisha took (was bred but she doesn't like to settle) and 2 other nigis that I haven't seen come into heat but were penned with buck for 2 days. So we will know shortly!!!

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, that was my ext question. Where do you get the vials? Are they something special?

14. Exciting....definately let us know :thumb:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Lori -

Nothing special about the vials or anything. They just need to be red top tubes with Minimum 2cc's of blood in them. You can order the red tops from Vetservusa or Jeffers I think has them. or you can typically pick them up from a Vet clinic.

The red tops are also known as Serum Seperator tubes :)

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I also have a bunch at home ----- FYI Lori let me know if you would like some