The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my needles and collection tubes, so hopefully I'll be sending out to get 3 of my girls tested for CAE next week. I'm so worried they are going to be positive. A lot of people don't test around here, and if they do, it usually costs an arm and a leg to buy one of their goats because it's usually show stock. I really just needed milkers, so I bought what I could afford at the time. Anybody else get nervous when it's time to do testing?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think we all do ;) I am going to be testing my girls this year too.. Just thinking about it stresses me out! I know my girls are clean as one was tested before I bought her and the rest were kids to young to test but came from clean herds..but. Still stress over it... :(

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
Even when you know your herd is clean, it makes me nervous. Somehow I always wonder if it could just pop up when you least expect it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a new doe from a clean herd, so I'm keeping her separate from my others until they are tested. What do I do if one turns out positive?

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
You will have to decide that. Some people keep them and just change their practices and some don't keep them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I do get a positive, what do I need to do to ensure the health of the rest of my herd? I probably would NOT keep an infected goat. I'm looking at selling to local 4-H'ers and want to be sure I'm raising healthy babies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts