The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have small birds that keep eating my goats feed and drinking their water. Which means they poop everywhere and I know it's not good. So how do I keep them away? Do fake owls work? Or should I get a bird feeder too? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are just tiny birds but there's about 8 of them! Also I heard they can carry coccidia

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't know how to get rid of them, but I do know the fake owls don't work.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
bird coccidia and goat coccidia aren't the same type they don't infect the other species. Not sure how to get rid of them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know how many hawks or other birds of prey you have around where you live, but I'm pretty sure the United Caprine News paper had a pretty good article in the past few months about placing nesting boxes for hawks near your barn and they will keep small birds away. I don't remember exactly what the article said, but maybe you can look into that.

And if not, maybe a bird feeder would at least keep some of them from eating the grain, but probably not all of them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have TONS of hawks around and even 2 owls in the pasture over. I think I may have to do a bird feeder and take on feeding birds also

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
owls work but they also don't like moving banging shiny things. We will put out aluminum pie pans on a string and the birds avoid those areas. I don't know if we have the same birds but between the owls and the pans the only birds we see around the back of the barn are the hawks stalking the ducks.

·
8,197 Posts
They sell a balloon type ball, with a big black "eye" on it. You can get large ones about the size of a beach ball or
smaller, like a kick ball. Hang from the rafters and the little birds think it is a bird of prey! It keeps the pigeons
away from the feed lot where our cattle eat. www.gemplers.com sells a bunch of stuff to get rid of pests! (I have
only ordered from them a couple of times, but never had a problem.)

·
8,197 Posts
Cool! Good job! I was going to suggest an air soft pistol!, Won't hurt the goats, but sure chases birds away! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts