Birth assistance

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by logansmommy7, Feb 1, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    How often do you really have to assist with birthing? I'm so worried about that as this is our first kidding season. I've been seeing a lot of posts with people saying that they had to "go in"-that freaks me out...I would hate to hurt my does! :shocked:

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    The main reason we have had to assist is because of the cold weather- every one of our goats had theirs with no problem-The kids just got very cold-very quick...The only reason in the past 2 years I have had to "go in" is with most of our first timers-the kids were so large...

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Rarely....usually its because of a malpresentation and/or the doe has been in labor too long.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    They really do not need assistance. I like to try to be there just in case but really most do just fine.

I have had to pull several because they did not have both feet forward, or they were breach.

I also have one doe that if I am not there she looses them (it happened this year), she has them in record time, like from when the first one shows its nose to the second one born it is about 30 seconds, so she can not get them cleaned off in time.

With that said, I have had so many birth is that I would say I only have to help about 8% of the time.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have only had to "go in" twice in 3 years with kidding out about 40 times. I had to reposition some kids that were to big, tangled, and coming to fast. and the other was a girl as BIG as a house - yet had one single kid that was the size of a nigi - so I wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong.

I prefer to be there with my girls - especially 1st timers or if I know there is a "litter".... But as my husband says, what did they do before we were here!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we just rarely say: she kidded with ease and then remember it. Most people talk about the hard kiddings and ask for help and since its so traumatic for the individual we just remember.

Really its easy to help and hard to hurt the doe

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the comforting words. I guess it is just like people, there is always a chance of problems...but most of the time everything is fine. We'll just keep our fingers crossed for normal kiddings, especially on our first year!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes...... most of the time there are no problems.... just remember... to look at what is in the bubble....you should see two little hooves one back slightly from the other...and a head..... if you see that things are coming right along.... If you think you need help.... to walk through it.... post it and we will try to help... any way we can.... We all worry about our does.... even us old timers...LOL :wink: :hug:

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have had experience as an older child with calving as my dad had a herd of angus cows then. I aways remember seeing the hooves with the nose close behind coming first..I guess it is the same way with goats, except more multiples. Does that render more complications, the fact that they usually have more than one?

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    See ........you got it.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug: :thumbup:

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    "Does that render more complications, the fact that they usually have more than one?"

Sometimes it can if they get all tangled up. In the past two years (18 kiddings), we helped pull a large single doe that was presenting normally, one doeling had her hoof back, and one buckling came rump first (all of these are super easy to fix). That's it. Nigerians are one of the easiest kidders (even in comparison with standard breeds).

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Code:

Good to know!