birth defect - what to do??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by detnol, Feb 17, 2011.

1. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    We hope you do not mind to have a look at the attached picture. This kid was born yesterday. It has an open entry/exit where you normally see his hair covered balls.
    What is this? What can/should we do? We do keep it well disinfected.
    It is a kid without great monetary value (will be eaten) since his father broke out and matted his own daughter.

[​IMG]

2. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I would consult with a veterinarian. If your intention is to simply grow him out until hes large enough to eat, then perhaps having a suturing would help. However, if there is a drainage that is happening around this abnormality, suturing it could cause more harm than good. My first though is to have him put down, but most definitely consult with a trained veterinarian before doing anything medical with him.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am wondering if it may be Hermaphrodite?

I also agree... have a vet look at it ...and see if it is something that should be fixed or if it is just a Hermaphrodite.... :hug:

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Yep, I agree - check with vet but may need to be put down. :hug:

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I thought Hermaphradite as well. Is he a boer?
    Maybe it has something to do with the dad breeding his daughter, but thats unlikely as well, because a lot of boer people have breed fathers to daughters, sons to mothers, uncles to neices and so on...

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is odd. I am kind of thinking a possible hermaphrodite as well.

As long as the kid isn't in pain then it would probably be ok to raise it up until slaughter, but if it should cause problems, the best thing to do would probably be to put it down.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is he eating, urinating and pooping properly? If so, he may be just fine. Looks to be more of a reproductive issue than anything and if he is being eaten then that won't matter. How old is he?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never seen a defect like that...I'm sorry it happened and thank you for sharing with a pic.

Does he have a sac at all? Does he have a penis and is peeing? IF there is a sac, you may be seeing the testes...if thats the case, he can be wethered now and the area stitched, if the opening has intestine protruding, it may be best to euthanize now to prevent any further issues and pain with a gut herniation.

9. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    it is a ....it?

It is 2 days and livelier than it's brother. I did think you did see his balls not intestines, but I do not know anymore.... it is not a Boer but Slovakian short haired white goat the local breed where I live. It might be hermaphrodite (poled x poled).
    Normally I just look if a kid has balls ore not to determine it's sex..... So I did not check for penis / vulva.
    It seems to have a vulva - at least no penis (thanks for the remark! I went to the stable to check it). This probably might make things more complicated. It drinks and so far behaves normal. Haven't seen it peeing pooping yet. But I am not in the stable all the time.
    [​IMG]
    I would hate to kill it know .... :( Of course I will when I think it is suffering. What methods do you use for this sad job? (just to prepare myself)

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope it works out OK... :hug:

and will be able to urinate ect.... so you can at least... raise to butcher.... :hug:

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well its not a doe there is no vulva... hermaphradite will still have a vulva...this kid has none. If it does not have a penis or a vulva it will die...there is no way for it to urinate? Are you sure there is no penis?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't see a vulva either...for it to be 2 days old and energetic, it has to be eating and eliminating .

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am almost thinking ...that the hole in the first picture...may be the vulva....but not sure?

14. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    How's this little goat doing? Have you seen it peeing or pooping yet? I had a lamb born once that was a herm. or maybe just a birth defect. It had an anus, but no penis or vulva. It's urethra exited between its teats. I guess it was more male than female; like the penis just never got "finished" and just ended up in the wrong place....

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I hope the little guy/girl? makes it. Make sure to check on it quite a bit...if it can't pee or poop than it should be showing signs of being in pain and should be put down immediately so it doesn't suffer.

16. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I start to think it must something likely. Did your kid grow up normally (healthy)?

I can definitively not find a penis. Haven't seen it peeing but it is as lively as the other one. Both are tiny but doing fine. I keep them inside since it is cold and snowing. They are now 5 days old and not showing any signs of distress. They are just sleeping, playing, drinking and chewing on some hay.
    They have been baptized: Herman and Herma two suitable Dutch names (m & f). I castrated Herman today :cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Herma is the one in front on both pictures (slightly blue from the disinfectant).

17. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I found this posting with pictures on this forum:
    http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9539
    Looks slightly similar to me...
    It also has a 'vulva' somewhere under it's belly.

My husband says Herma did not get balls to avoid me with my elastrator mutilating it.

18. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I have seen it peeing - liquid (urine I suppose) came out of the the whole between it's nipples.. So this opening must be it's vulva/penis.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good she is peeing.... :thumb: :hi5:

20. detnol

detnol New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

Update: Both kids are doing fine! Their mother is a first-timer and a bit clumsy with her babies - all goats and babies regained total freedom Yesterday after having had it for a few hours the previous days. Mum took of to a hill a mile from home leaving her kids behind. Screaming babies don't seem to bother her and she doesn't call them. So I did put them together on our fenced yard ... it is cold and they need to stay with heir mother. I will try again in a few days.
    Herma is acting as a normal kid. I am happy I did not put her down.