The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cousin who has a little goat, 8 months old, with BOTH sexes. Yup, you read that right! BOTH sexes!! I saw it for myself yesterday. :confused:

Obviously, she has zero plans to breed this little one (really not sure what gender to use). But she has never castrated the goat because the testicles have always been larger than expected. However, she has heard that goat breeders might be willing purchase him because he can be quite handy at helping to bring does into season. In fact, the goat has been around some unfamiliar does and reacted to their possibly being in season -- which led to the discovery of a penis.

Any and all thoughts appreciated . . .

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well thats a hermaphrodite. I know that cattle farmers sometimes keep them as heat detectors, but i dont know about goat breeders. I have heard that they make great meat, or pets. Castration is probably a good idea if keeping as a pet or meat.

·
1,524 Posts
Not all that uncommon and yes, they make great heat detectors and are sterile, so they cannot reproduce. If it has testicles, I would suggest castrating it, since leaving it intact with no possibility of breeding is kind of cruel and can make for a mean animal.

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Well actually, if this goat truly has both sexes, meaning a penis and testes in the proper spot and a vagina in the proper spot. They are extremely rare and normally are fertile, sometimes both ways. I wouldn't do any castrating or anything else to it until it was tested at a university veterinary school. There are people that will pay very large amounts of money for such oddities. Some are Chimeras, others are true hermies..

Mostly what people see are pseudo hermies or intersexed. These are males who never formed right. This one could be something very special.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The little one definitely has all three parts, in the correct place. I will mention to her about a university vet school, but I think the closest is about fours away.

She has heard that he might be rare enough to be valuable. Would be nice, for such a sweet lady.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
but I have to ask where does it pee
most likely on the ground (hehehehe) sorry couldnt help myself...feeling a bit honory today :p

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
but I have to ask where does it pee
most likely on the ground (hehehehe) sorry couldnt help myself...feeling a bit honory today :p

·
14,615 Posts
So ornery she said it twice, once for his girlie parts & once for her man parts.
Said goat must be counter productive.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
lol..I dont know why my post keep going twice??

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
With 8 kids Im used to repeating myself I guess lol

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
lol....i have 5...so you win ..... I said "you win!" hahahaha
lol...

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Ah, how counter productive is a buck that can not only breed your herd, but can also give birth it's self as well? With a true double you can AI it with it's own sperm if you want.
I would get the best pics I can and e-mail Texas A&M they may be interested. If not, start finding the freak shows :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You guys make me laugh lol.....and wow 8 kids I have big respect since I feel like most days I can't handle my 2 lol
School stars on Monday......only three more days......only three more day :)

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
School stars on Monday......only three more days......only three more day
I dont get to say that...we home school lol...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You all are funny! I hadn't thought about sending pictures to a good University vet school.

As for the peeing question -- the little one was peeing like a female. After exposure to some does, it began peeing like a male. She said she hasn't taken the time to see if it ever does both at the same time . . . (and she chuckled at the "on the ground" joke).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts