The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nigerian Dwarf is pregnant and appeared to be starting labor about 2 1/2 days ago. We are not experienced at this and the first time we bred her almost 2 years ago she delivered a stillborn buck.

She doesn't appear to be in distress and we haven't really witnessed any prolonged pushing. We have seen the occasional contraction but it is really up and down with no real consistency.

Can anyone offer us some advice if things are OK or if we have an issue here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been some stuff coming out but it is kind of more clear than anything. She has been getting up and down a bit, eating and even sleeping too.

My wife is a nervous wreck right now worrying about her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My wife ran her to the vet but the baby is dead. I don't know if we have bad luck or are doing something wrong. When we bought her she had kids before.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Awww, I'm sorry. :(

It, honestly, is probably just the doe. If I were you I would milk out her colostrum and save it. I wouldn't blame this on yourself. You have no reason too. This is leading me to think that she has had a bad history.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
awe Im so sorry...your wife has good instincts taking her to the vet. I would suspect she was exposed to an abortion causing bacteria. Here is a link to help you and your vet determine what happened..and hopefully prevent it next season...

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0079/
Im sure the vet suggested keeping her on Penicillin for five days if he had to go in and remove the baby...1 cc per 20 # every 12 hours..Sub Q

Mom may be a bit depressed for a few days...be sure she eats and drinks..give extra TLC..here is a good home made electrolyte goats seem to really love...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses( or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.
Again..Im very sorry for your loss...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts