The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the signs of a doe getting ready to give birth?
I thought they laid off their feed when they are getting ready to pop, but I'm not sure where I got it from. Is this true or not? We have one doe keeping us on the edge of our seats (why do I get the impression that she is probably enjoying it too? :)).

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Most doe's udders will get FULL FULL FULL before kidding. Like so full they are sticking out behind the back legs when you see them from the side, and the teats are sticking out to the sides instead of down and the udder may even look shiny because it is so tight! (But some does don't drop all their milk until after kidding.) The next think you can look for is some discharge from the vulva - this can go on for up to a week. Also, her back end, especially around the base of the tail will start to get loose and sag. Once she starts going off on her own you are close!

Overall it is much easier to keep close track of which day they get bred and then just go 150 days out from there and expect kids! Does are notorious for hiding kidding signs!

·
14,456 Posts
Eating? Some continue to stuff themselves & never miss a beat, while others will barely touch their grain.
Up & down up & down, digging to China. Lay down. Nope not deep enough.
Whatever your does general temperament is if it changes expect babies soon.
Mine NEVER talk to unborn. So when she started cooing at her right side I figured it was time.
Right now have 2 due sometime this week or next; both have had slight clear discharge for two days.
But that nice amber goo along with shiny udder please. Some does don't display all these signs & some a few, others none at all. Sometimes they invent new ones.

·
14,730 Posts
They can have discharge weeks before they are due. It may be white, or an off white color.

Check her tail ligaments, those have always been a good sign for us. Strutted/very full udder.
Then like Nancy said - up and down, pawing/digging, talking to their belly. Some may leave the herd and try to be by themselves.

Ours always eat grain if offered to them, so I can't go by that. We've had them out grazing up until it was time to start pushing.

Another sign they are getting close is their back legs will look 'posty', they may grind their teeth and stare at the walls like they are concentrating really hard.

We have a doe that I always know when she is ready, it's pretty funny too.
Last year she had triplets in the spring. I knew she was very close, and put her in a pen where I could check on her through the window. She started pacing the fence, and yelling at me. I knew it was time, so I put her in her stall and she got down to business.
Then this past January she kidded triplets. She was out in the woods with the others, came up by the barn, and stood as still as a statue staring at the house, then looking at the barn, then back at the house. Then she spotted me in the kitchen window <doing dishes, and watching her>. I knew it was time.
So I let her in her stall and sure enough, she was ready to go. She will NOT have her babies outside of a stall, not even in the sleeping area of the barn. She wants that stall lol

Here's a silly little blog I wrote a long time ago when I was bored. Scroll down to the 2nd post, then read the top one afterwards if any of it is helpful ;)
http://smilinacresgoat.webs.com/apps/blog/

Also, check youtube, do a search like 'goat birthing signs' or something like that :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts