Birth weights ?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by MysticHollowGoats, Oct 6, 2008.

1. What would you say is your average birth weights are?
    Mine seem to be on the large side, right around 4 lbs. Honestly I think they are too big and we are working on getting them a bit smaller.

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i didn't get to officially weighing mine last night, but one was about 3 1/2 and the other is about 2

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, I only weighed one of my kids from this past kidding season ... I used a baby scale to do it, and he weighed in at 9lbs at birth (pygmy buckling) ... I couldn't beleive he was that much ! I even questioned if the scale was correct. After that I didn't weigh any of the others, they looked healthy and were doing good, so I just didn't bother. Plus I thought I was crazy for reading 9lbs on a pygmy buckling :scratch: :shrug: So I didn't bother weighing the others.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well it depends on how many siblings there are. But I had one that weighed about 5 to 5 1/2 pounds(single). WAY to big for a ND. And another that weighed under a pound(out of quints).

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Typically 2-3 lbs. I feel like we have fairly small kids. . . . but we have mostly triplets. The one set of twins born this year, the boy was pretty big, but I didn't weigh him. He must've been 4 lbs. though, he was hefty looking. ;) I have to get better about weighing the kids. . . .

Do you often have to pull babies? Is that why you're working at getting them smaller?

When we were raising pygmies. There were some bucks known for throwing large, over-developed kids. Thankfully our buck threw small babies, average of 2 lbs.

I find the articles here to be very helpful. You probably know of this website though. There is a lot of info on kidding difficulties and the causes. http://kinne.net/articles.htm

6. We had to assit with one birthing this year, but the babies were a bit tangled. My smallest kid this year was 3.6 and it seemed to be the quickest one out. I was talking with another breeder I know and her eyes got real big when I told her my averages but she did admit that she doesn't regularly get birth weights so I thought I would ask all you guys :greengrin:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I had a really big one this year, 12lbs, at birh, single doeling. Calypso. but umm, shes boer, not nd.

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    With boers we had a 18 pounder??? Our smallest was a 6 pounder from a first timer. When we had pygmies-they were averaging about 5 lbs

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Typically with my ND and my ND/Pygmy crosses, the bucklings are on the heavier side...3 1/2 lbs...the doelings average 2 1/2 to 3 lbs...even the single doeling this past year was 3 lbs.....my tiniest was a doeling out of triplets and she was 1lb 8oz.

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I didn't get birth weights on my first kiddings...but Carly's kids (b/d -NDG) weighed 2.75lbs each.

11. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Nubians and Alpines: Between 2 and 13lbs

12. eliya

eliya New Member

This is the first year that I was truly good about getting weights. Here is what we had from our MiniNubians:
    Twins from a full size Nubian doe bred to MiniNubian buck - buckling: 6# - doeling: 4.5#
    Triplets - 5# buck, 4.5# buck, 3.75# doeling
    Twin bucklings out of a small MiniNubian doe: 6# (HUGE for this doe) and 4.5#
    Triplets - 3# doeling, 3.75# buckling, 4.5# buckling
    Twins from a first freshener - 5.5# buck and 5.5 lb doeling. These were BIG for their dam's size
    Quads - 2.75# buckling, 3.5# buckling, 2.5# buckling (was too small and didn't make it past 30 hours), 3.5# doeling
    Triplet bucks, these kids were LARGE for the dam. She delivered them fine, but even though she has a lot of body capacity, they took up all her space - she could hardly breathe! One was 6.5#, the others were 5.75 and 5.5
    Triplets - 4.25# doeling, 5.25# doeling and a HUGE buckling at 7.25 lbs!!!
    Single buckling from a first freshener - 7 lbs
    The last doe to freshen this year was my largest - she weighs about 120 lbs and usually has triplets or quads. This year she had twins and I think the buckling took the food that would usually have been given to a third kid as he was enormous! He was 8 lbs and his sister was 5.5

13. Well in the world of Nigerians I guess mine are quite large :shrug:
    The girls won't be happy but my wallet will be when the reduction of feed starts this week.
    Honestly I think it is the alfalfa pellets that we are heavy handed with, not grain as it seems
    most of you guys feed way more grain than I do. The most grain fed to any doe here is 1 1/3 cups
    per day.
    Thanks for all your input guys :)

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Is 1 1/3 cup what you feed to lactating does? Man, I wish my milkers would do good with that small amount! We typically give 2-5 cups to heavy milkers, about 2 cups to does w/ twins. We mix the alfalfa pellets in with the grain, so maybe that's why we have to feed more grain. :shrug: This coming year I'm trying a different grain recipe for milkers, we'll see how it goes! :D

15. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We give a full scoop to our does that are milking though especially the heavy milkers but the ones that aren't milking they get maybe a half scoop and some get a handful of grain since they tend to get on the hefty side.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Amy, just curious but what does a full scoop amount to?

17. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Olivia,

I think it's a pound.

18. All of my mature does are in milk and are milked twice a day( 2 are ff's and I am trying to set lactation lengths). The 1 1/3 cup is grain only although only one is feed that much, the other 2 get 1 cup per day (1/2 cup per feeding). I do mix in 1/3 cup of alfalfa pellets just to slow them down a bit for milking ease.

They were getting 1lb of AP (alfalfa pellets) in the morning and night now they will be getting 12 oz each time and I might try to go down a bit more. We use only whole oats, BOSS and just a bit of calf manna for our grain. They do great with it and I know exactly whats is it...no grain byproducts! I know a lot of people feed alfalfa hay but I find too wasteful here, mine get eastern orchard grass hay.

So if you feed AP how much do yours get per day?

Olivia, care to share you new grain recipe?

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. . . .whole oats, maybe I'll try that instead of COB. Right now, everyone is getting a 14% protein blend for any type of livestock (labeled for goats as well) it makes the milk taste so nasty! Yuck! Our milkers get a special blend of COB, alfalfa pellets, BOSS, and we'll be adding wheat bran and something else, gotta double-check on it. I got the recipe from SDK, I think she got it from someone else on TGS. I'll look around for it. I don't have any milkers right now. . . . but we will in February!! Yeah!

Does the calf manna make the milk taste funny??

20. No funny tastes here.....I compare our milk to raw cows milk with a hint of sweetness. Course all my girls get an animal cracker after milking cause they r spoiled :wink: So the sweetness might come from that too.