Birthing Hutch

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Sep 11, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    If we succedd at getting our Doe pregnant this fall, what is needed for the spring?

I was hoping to build a hutch about 4x6 feet just for the Mom and baby for birthing and the first couple days of life.

Is that a good plan?

New at the pregnant and delivery thing.

We hope to breed in mid-late December to get babies as late as possible in Michigan.

Thanks

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That sounds like a good plan. How big is your doe? If she is standard-size, I would make the hutch a little bigger, if she's a mini, then 4x6 should be fine for the few days before and after birth. I would put the mom and kids in the hutch at night too - pasture them during the day and put them in there at night. Just a thought though, you can do things however you'd like. :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    capriola-nd....... is right, it depends on the size of your doe? what breed is she?...............
    It is critical for bonding time so make sure you keep them penned up for 3 days......depending on how everyone is doing.......................
    you are very wise to think ahead.............Good job.. :thumb:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind. Just make sure that it is draft free, because the wind and drafts will cause more trouble then just the cold.

5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I dont know where you are but if I bred now, I would have kids being born in the coldest part of the year! I would need artificial heat to keep them alive.
    I breed for April/May kids.

I hope your in a warmer climate.

But the pen needs to match the size of the doe.

I have Boers and that would be to small. My gals like 10X14 each.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i like having my kids in january february, yes it is colder, but i fnd that the kids grow better, the paristie counts arnt nearly as high. And then the next year i can breed most to all of my kids for milking yearlings. I keep such a small herd, i need to know who is worthy of keeping and feeding for another year and who needs to go. I dont have the room to hang on to a bunch of dry yearlings to hope and pray that they will turn out nice.
    beth

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    AMEN Beth.

I always breed for Jan Feb babies. i do SOMETIMES have to have a heat lamp on them for 24-48 hours. After that they have to learn to keep their own body heat under control.
    I have never had a sick goat in the 8 years I have had them. All I have ever had was a goat that got cancer, One that bloated (our fault, not his), and I had a girl bring her goats over to be at my place and her doe died of Cocci (I was really new and had no idea what that was, WAY before I found these wonderful sites).

8. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    I take it you Jan-Feb breeders dont have temps -20F like we do in that time.
    Kidicicles! LOL
    Seriously, when we have had a few births at that time of the year, even a heat lamp isnt enough with temps that low. We had to heat the enclosed porch and use that in addition to heat lamps. It also cost a fortune to try to heat an uninsulated area.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I really like my "piglet heater", it's like a floor mat, but warm. It's low voltage so it doesn't cost much to run it. And, it's not actually heating a room, just the kids cuddled up on it.

But, I agree that for your first "go around" you should shoot for warmer temps of spring. Breeding in Dec gives you May kids, that makes it easier for you too. I spent many cold nights running out to the barn in the cold of late Feb.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For your size doe, I agree that a 4x6 would be too small for her to labor and deliver in.....something more like a 6x8 or even an 8x8 would be fine to hold her and any number of kids she'll have....I also agree that for your first kidding you should have them born in late April to late May....more time to learn the ropes of kidding and not needing to worry about chilled kids,

Di that piget heater is a great idea....a friend of mine raises pigs and alot of the time he has his grandkids 4H pigs and his market hogs born from late January to late March and even though the sows farrow in a heated "nursery", those piglet pads are used along with heat lamps...he just cautions on using them where they will get wet...don't want a short :greengrin:

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    we have shelters in our pens-In the winter-we close them in and put heat lamps in them- In the past we had 6x6 stalls for the does and kids with a part of it sectioned off for the kids to lay without being laid on. take about the last 2 foot and put up 2x2s about 8 inches apart- the kids will go in between and lay under the lamp and mom is in the big part.