Birthing location

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jduwall, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Good evening all....still very cold and windy here but all the barns are nice and warm.....(as long as hubby doesn't see the electric bill---lol)

anyway, have a quick question on a birthing location for a first time freshener. recently, I got a very sweet, but extremely shy doe that is due to have her babies on Feb 8th. Hubby booked a surprise vacation from Feb 8th - Febth 15. :cool: :leap: :leap:

should I leave the little girl here at home where she is comfortable and I have 2 people feeding while I am gone that are kinda familiar with goaties....or......take the little girl to my mom's so here to delivery. I was worried with her being so shy and taking her away from home for a delivery...what do you all think??? :ponder:

PS..what shot is due for her right before kidding....cdt??? just wormed her good

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would never leave a FF who is ready to kid -- so sorry your husband booked the vacation (though it looks like your are happy :shrug: )

Never been in your shoes so I cant say if which I would do : /

3. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Yikes I'd have a really hard time leaving her! If mom knows about goats would she keep her for a while?
    I wonder if moving her to your mom's now, letting her get used to her new place and then birthing there would be easier on her.
    Someone else here would know better, but I think that's what I would do.
    Good luck!
    Caryn

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh wow... what a dilemma. I personally would not plan to leave any of my girls when they are due..it was my choice to have them bred and I would feel just awful if anything would happen in my abscence. I chose to have the responsibility that goes with breedings and I even have my girls due dates posted at work so that my boss knows that she may get a call in the wee hours to open for me. If there is no way to reschedule this vacation, I would move her to your moms now...she does have kidding experience right? There are risks to moving her this late into pregnancy though, but those risks would be worth it knowing that she won't be alone for her delivery.
    Good luck with whatever you decide is best for her :hug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... I wouldn't leave her....that will be asking for trouble....and loss :hug:

6. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    CD & T prior to kidding to my understanding. I think it is suppose to be closer to a month prior though.

GL

Tom

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You're right on there Tom...2cc CD/T 4 weeks before due date, another 2cc dose 3 weeks later if the doe hasn't had CD/T(Or 2cc 7weeks before with the 2cc booster 4 weeks before due date ) :thumbup:

8. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I know, can't believing the timing...wasn't planning on kidding in Feb...she is a companion goat for Holly (Blue)....long story but my son is a Make-A-Wish child...4 open-heart surgeries...he is 16 now and doing great and Hubby wanted us to do something special together.... :love:

Poor guy, wanted to surprise us.....but uuuggg... :sigh: :sigh:

Mom is great with goats,,,she has had them forever and has a nice barn...I can take her there now....acutally mom really wants to keep her.....my mom is the best...I am sure Mari will be fine with her..she has delivery way more babies than me...

Just feel stuck between and rock and a hard place.... :hair: :hair:

9. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I just found out that I wrote the date wrong...she is not due til later...Feb 15-28....Mom is coming with my sister to keep and eye on everything but I feel so much better now~~!!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh awesome -- you get to take your trip and come home to see babies :D

Glad your mom can check on her and knows what to do thats always such a relief