The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm kind of struggling with what I want to decide to do and would like any advice/opinions. At the moment I have 5 goats, 2 Boer X does--1 doe and 1 kid, 1 pet wether, 1 grade yearling Alpine doe, and 1 Reg. Alpine doe kid. This year I am breeding my Boer X doe and Grade Alpine--which I'm planning to register as an NOA and will be breeding to a Reg. Alpine buck for recorded grade kids. I don't have a ton of room for a lot of goats but still, have plenty of room for a small number. I am thinking about purchasing at least 1 more Reg. goat--PB or RG, but don't want to have more than about 10 goats through the winter at any time--and no more than 5-ish milkers(milking by hand). I'm in high school--so it isn't exactly viable for me to be spending a ton of money on goats, or get a ton as I will be going to college in the next couple years(siblings with care for goats if I don't have too many). I went to my first couple sanctioned shows this year and will continue to do that. I don't need to purchase bucks as there is someone near me who breeds mine for a good price and has nice bucks.

What I'm struggling with is that I don't know if I should just grow organically with the dairy goats I have--as that is my main focus--I don't plan on retaining or buying any more Boer X does. I can purchase a nice recorded grade doeling for a decent price--about 3 hours from me. Another option would be waiting until spring, the same person my does get bred by will quite a few goats kidding next year--he has some pretty nice animals, and will likely have 1 I could purchase--that I probably could get for a very good price or in exchange of helping him out.

One last thing is trying to convince my parents that it won't be just an expensive hobby--I do plan on possibly starting up a small business selling kids--eventually. It's just that they help me pay for feed, etc. and they don't want to just be pouring more money into goats with no return to us. But I'm not sure if there is really any money in that--I'm in Wisconsin, in an area that is largely commercial goats.

Sorry for writing a book, but that was the shortest I felt I could completely explain the situation in.

So to sum it all up I don't know whether to wait to buy, buy now, or not at all and would love any advice or opinions anyone could give me.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
I'm in high school--so it isn't exactly viable for me to be spending a ton of money on goats, or get a ton as I will be going to college in the next couple years

Wait til you get done with college. That is a lot to ask family to deal with and pay for even now. But with you in college it is just more and unfair to them. Esp if they are not interested in all the work and money that is spent on having milk goats or goats in general. I get this is not what you want to hear.... but we have raised three men and i would be not happy about that situation were we not interested in it. Livestock is not cheap.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm not trying to sound like I don't appreciate your advice, as I do, but my siblings also have their own goats that they raise for the fair--none of them keep them year-round yet, just wethers for the fair, but my 12 yr. old sister is thinking about purchasing her own Boer doe next year--so it isn't that I'm forcing them to take care of something they aren't interested in. All my siblings are younger than me and my 6 yr. old sister is already infatuated with my goats-they could show them if they wanted to at fairs and be "their's". So I'm thinking whether I get more goats, or keep my goats through college. Regardless there will be goats here, whether mine or my siblings. The other thing is that I'm not sure where I'm going to college--but it will likely be somewhere local and I will have to option of staying at home--so I would care for the goats and pay for them myself. It also isn't that my parents aren't interested in the goats--they are the ones that got us started with them in the first place--they both grew up on farms and get that there is hard work and money involved in livestock.
Again thank you--just wanted to give a little more background.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
If you need to watch your numbers, then I wouldn't bother buying a new doe now. If you want to go dairy, why not sell your Boer cross goats. Then next spring assess where you want to go and buy from the local guy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have kept my Boer X goats for wethers to sell at the fair--for me and my siblings--because they are pricey to buy and it's cheaper to raise them myself. I'm not looking to get anymore-just keep the two I have and any does out of them will also be sold.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Think of it this way you have 2 breedable this season possibly 4 more kids give or take. With those 2 the 2 yearlings plus the wether pet and 4 new kids give or take if you sell or if your siblings take any to fair, your already at possibly 9 goats in just 1 season, 4 of which are breedable for next year, and possibly 6 or more breedable the following. Unless the one you want would make a substantial difference in breed quality, I would just take it one year at a time and see what would be best for everyone involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts