The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad, disappointed, angry upset. My sister has a 4 year old pit/hound mix, and he has BIG behavioral issues. She and I both live with our parents. Sometimes it’s wonderful…but I feel like I have to tolerate anything her dog does or she sees it as a personal attack on herself. He’s tried to go after the goats, and she downplays it. “The goat started it” and he was just mouthing…I’m getting sick of it. He snapped at me and almost got my hand, and she deflected his behavior, saying I need to give him treats every time he shows aggression so he will like me. It never seemed to occur to her to apologize. Dog fights are just something that happens every few days when he jumps up and goes after another dog. I keep my dog in my room to protect her. If she’s out, I watch her.

Today, he chewed the open/close handle to adjust the vacuum on my SIMPLE PULSE MILKING MACHINE. It’s barely attached now. I don’t know if it will still function. He ruined a piece of the overflow system—the black plastic cylinder with two small balls inside underneath the milker. The balls are like small marbles in size. I can’t find them, so I assume they were eaten. I don’t know if anything else is wrong. I guess I’m going to contact the company about replacements. It could also have been her boyfriend’s dog, but she’s never done anything like this before. I noticed my sister’s dog is acting very quiet. This is what he does after he rips something apart or tries to bite someone. I absolutely rely on this machine. My hands have such a hard time milking. I have the flu right now (and possibly hand, foot, and mouth virus), so not having a milking machine after walking the goats up the hill and around to the house twice a day with a sore popping knee will be so mentally and physically exhausting. I love this wonderful machine! Please don’t be broken!!

Has anyone ever had an animal try to destroy your equipment? What would you do about it? I plan to have a small fenced milking area in the basement with a sink. I might be able to keep him out that way. I don’t know when this will happen. The piping is there to add a sink. The door to the basement faces the goat pens and would be a much easier walk.

As for her dog…I don’t know how to handle him or her. It seems inevitable that he will do it again. She is already diverting blame to me. Because I have this thing that her dog can destroy, it’s my fault? I need it to be by a sink so I can clean it, and the door to outside is right there. The laundry room has a door which could be kept closed to keep dogs out of it, but I know that rule will never be followed. I don’t know if there is a place I can put the milker to keep him away from it when he’s motivated. He is let outside unsupervised all the time and rips things apart in the garage, so I don’t want to keep my machine out there. Plus, the free ranging turkeys and mice will contaminate it. It’s an expensive machine!!😱AND it’s only a month old! I wish she would watch the dog better or put him somewhere when she can’t. A lot of things boil down to her not taking responsibility for his behavior and monitoring him. He isn’t my dog. She spends so little time with him. I know she works, but this happened while she was home. I try to let her see the dog’s issues without saying anything because she will try very hard to blame me. I want to keep my cool and be mature about it. I hope I have the strength.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m wondering if I could buy a metal wire dog pen to put around it. That might help protect it. It’s too heavy to put most places. I believe my parents are so afraid of confronting her about the dog. She will become emotional and twist their words and make herself the victim instead of putting the dog in her room (he would destroy HER things then). I think it’s gotten out of hand. He bit my mom’s ear, and she should have gotten stitches. I helped her clean the wound every day. She is so lucky it didn’t get infected. The dog has one bite report on his record after he bit my mom’s arm breaking up a dog fight. He is a rescue, so I don’t know what other history he has. Over time I guess his problems have become normal life. They shouldn’t be. I don’t go in the living room where he likes to sleep anymore. I avoid him as much as possible because I decided that if he bites me I will report it. I would want him to be euthanized. My sister’s upset this morning because I think her dog damaged the milker. I should be the one upset with her dog, but I’m not allowed to be. He ripped apart a mattress last month. He’s ripped wiring out of the atv twice. I’m hoping my sister will move out and take the dog with her. I’m trying to be patient until then. Seeing him around the farm animals makes me very nervous. It would be easier having one of my Nigerian bucks living in the house than this dog.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sister even told me once that she is waiting for him to do something really bad and have to put him to sleep. So I KNOW she is aware of what’s going on but chooses to give excuses for him. It makes me feel gross and sad. Why should he be allowed to do that bad thing? Maybe she should STOP that from happening. Every day I wonder what is going to be the big event. I try to keep all the animals safe from him. “I try” all the time to keep the big bad event from happening. I believe deep down she feels guilty, but can’t handle the emotions. So, she projects his issues onto other people and animals he goes after. He really doesn’t like Treasure, my goat that is due to kid soon. I will have to be super vigilant to protect her and her kids. She hasn’t recognized all the things I do to keep her dog from doing something bad. I was the one who made sure he didn’t leave our property to bother our neighbor’s sheep. He just keeps getting let out unsupervised. My dad is hoping he runs away. I seem to be the only one who understands this situation is unacceptable. We shouldnt be walking on the eggshells around a dog. The goats we keep outside are better behaved than this! It’s absurd. He isn’t a disturbed child the world needs to accommodate. She needs to protect other people from him and protect him from himself. If she loves him and wants him to stay in this world, she needs to watch him around others and put him somewhere away from people (her room) when she can’t. My simple pulse milker and extra teat cups and jars was $1000. It’s not like he chewed another windowsill. I can’t believe that my sister is immediately blaming me. I’m just not going to bring it up again. Fingers crossed she and her boyfriend get engaged and move out!! She told me last weekend they are going ring shopping soon. I’m very excited for her, but my first thought was wondering if they will be moving out with her dog…Congratulations! Would you like me to help you get your dog in the car??

The bright side is that I think the milker is still functioning. But I know he will do worse next time. Because I don’t want a next time, I’m going to have that milking room in the basement this weekend. I’m excited about my little milking area. That will make milking so much easier. But I’m not going to thank her dog for the motivation.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for listening to my rants! I figured goat people would understand my frustration. I understand I will have to protect my machine better somehow. I might put it in my room. If my dog chews it (I don’t think she ever would), at least it will be my own dog.

·
Registered
764 Posts
is there anyway at all you can give the dog exercise? i know you are sick now and its not your dog and all but usually a dog tears things up because one, its a puppy, two its a bigger puppy and three its bored/excessive energy or not worked with.if no one is doing anything with it then being that mix it has to be hipper/have energy?... you can possibly get kongs and put food in them and freeze them, it would keep him occupied for awhile?knuckle bones most dogs like and they get buisy chewing... I am sorry about your machine that would suck(some day i am going to get one)hopefully she gets married and finds her new place with her dog :)

·
Fair-Haven
4,819 Posts
I'm so VERY sorry you have to deal with this and are trying to deal with this in the best way you can. Perhaps a sit down with your parents...... if that dog bites someone that is not a family member that could be a HUGE lawsuit and will come back on your parents. Are they prepared to have someone including a family member hospitalized because of the dog? Tell them you love your sister and appreciate her kind heart, but waiting for something terrible to happen is irresponsible and very scary for all of you. I understand your sister feels sorry for the dog, but she is also doing nothing to train or exercise to help his behavior in any way. I have had aggressive dogs that I have managed but NEVER a dog that would bite a family member. If I did, I would have the dog put down. Period. Sounds harsh, but sometimes this kind of behavior just can't be fixed. Best wishes to you and your family, I hope you all can find a solution.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there anyway at all you can give the dog exercise? i know you are sick now and its not your dog and all but usually a dog tears things up because one, its a puppy, two its a bigger puppy and three its bored/excessive energy or not worked with.if no one is doing anything with it then being that mix it has to be hipper/have energy?... you can possibly get kongs and put food in them and freeze them, it would keep him occupied for awhile?knuckle bones most dogs like and they get buisy chewing... I am sorry about your machine that would suck(some day i am going to get one)hopefully she gets married and finds her new place with her dog :)
He sometimes gets worse if he exercises. He either gets over stimulated or his feet get red from running and he gets more aggressive. He has IBD, so if he eats something that doesn’t agree with his stomach, he also gets more aggressive. He is so high maintenance. He is also food aggressive.

·
Registered
764 Posts
wow poor guy i would be grumpy too.... i really hope your sister will take him soon.... good luck... they do have muzzles that dogs can wear that they can eat, pant ect but then again your sister would have to put it on him when he is not with her.

i remember when i was young we had two dogs. my brother was playing roughly with his new friend and the dog bit the other kids face. the dog thought he was attacking my brother.the kid ended up with stitches so the dog had to be put down due to insurance and being sued(the kid was low to the ground so the dog just bit whatever was closest).

it seems like this guy needs a new owner or to be put to sleep. doesnt sound like he is happy at all :( and you guys dont sound too happy either. a dog is supposed to be part of the household not something that must be endured.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
There are people well equipped to handle dogs with his issues. Your sister is not one of them. Rather than waiting for disaster to strike so he must be euthanized, she should try to get him to a safer place with the right person and surroundings. If she really cared about him, that would be in his best interest. If that’s not an option, euthanasia when he’s clam and in the care of those who love him is much more merciful than waiting until authorities are involved and he’s taken and held by animal control for however long and then destroyed after a confusing, stressful time.

And I don’t care who an animal belongs to, if it mouthed my goats or any of my poultry, I’d absolutely be correcting that dog and I wouldn’t care if it upset my sister or whomever owned the dog. I’m sorry you’re going through all this.

If you want to try talking to your sister yet again, keep your emotions out of your concerns and replies, and simply state facts. She’ll likely spin off to unrelated things or mount a huge emotional counter attack and then you stay calm, ignore whatever she said that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and repeat the initial concern until she addresses it. If she brings up a good point or something she won’t let go of even if it’s not a good point, tell her you’ll get back to that since it is important to her right after you two discuss the issue you brought up.

I am worried about way more than a milking machine (though that is a real bummer). I hope you are able to keep your animals and yourself safe.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,694 Posts
Im sorry. But waiting for a disaster to happens is not smart. Report the dog. If any animal acted that way around me, it would be shot. Any dog that bites an owner needs to be destroyed. I have zero tolerence for biteing, or a dog killing , mameing livestock. Theres 4 buried in the back acres to prove it.

·
Administrator
84,528 Posts
Everyone is right here, your family will be sued for injury or even death of a person or animal. Or a child.
If your parents own their property, they may lose it by a huge lawsuit, because of a dog they know is dangerous and will not take care of the issue before something really bad happens.

If your sister is of adult age, she may alone be sued and have to pay big or
even jailed, if she knew this dog was dangerous.

Even if she lives at home or on her own, she is liable to pay for damages done by this dog.
If you lose equipment, an animal, she is liable.

Some states have different laws, but I am sure, this is not going to end well.

Protect your goats and things, is all you can do unless the issue is gone.
I am so sorry your family is not thinking straight or scared of your sister. I am very concerned there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to my mom about what would happen if he bit a visitor or delivery driver, and she said if it happens it happens. It’s…disappointing. She can’t bear to talk about it any more because “I’m giving her heartburn” every time I mention anything about it. She said if we get sued we’ll deal with it then. My sister is an adult, but I worry we could still get sued. It really frustrates me that my mom, dad, and sister let him outside for hours unwatched. I realize he is out and immediately try to find him. I feel like I’m the only one except for my grandmother who understands he may bite someone or hurt an animal. They make me think I’m the problem. Judging by all the support on this site, I know my judgment on this is WAY more NORMAL. My sister’s boyfriend and I are the only ones who watch the dog. I posted about being overwhelmed lately when my mom was going to buy a Nubian buckling I would be taking care of despite my wishes (but she saw him and didn’t like him). This dog is a big part of my stress. I know my sister had tried trainers and he’s on mood stabilizers that help, but he isn’t out growing his issues. He has weird mood swings and you don’t want to walk near him based on the weird way he is standing or posturing himself. He came from a place with a lot of drug problems. I think there’s something wrong in his brain. He almost breaks the windows barking and fixating at something when nothing is there. He has fits. He’s the strangest dog. He attacked one of the turkeys last week and I broke it up before he seriously injured the bird. He was laying in the driveway sleeping and the bird walked by, so he jumped up attacking whatever was around. He’s just not right. It’s nice to know I’m not just over reacting and being a bad person because the dog makes me worried and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts
I feel your pain.....here, I live with 6 other people. Me (The 7th person), my two sisters, my two brothers & my mom and dad. My oldest sister.........can be a BIG butt..... It sounds like your sister doesn't care about your opinions, or your animals OR your things. A dog like that is nothing but trouble in the end. really? "waiting for him to do something really bad and have to put him to sleep " I mean really?? If she knows he is aggressive and could KILL someone or something..... lets just say If I had a dog get mean or aggressive, A- I would have it rehomed to someone who can and knows how to train it. B- Have it put down (Although I hate putting things down..). Your sister is not even thinking of the people she lives with/is around 24/7. You are her sister/Brother? She needs to realize that dog could hurt any of you, even her or her boyfriend. I hope she realizes that dog is dangerous. Its not worth having your family get hurt over, I love my animals and cant imagine life without them, but, my family is my everything........Ive already lost my baby brother. Tell your sister you all love the dog and would never want to hurt him, but, yall love her more. Tell her you dont want the dog to hurt her and that its not worth risking her and other peoples lives for her own stubbornness. Tell her to think about it, she loves her family? loves her boyfriend? then why keep something who can hurt the ones you love? I wouldn't..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel your pain.....here, I live with 6 other people. Me (The 7th person), my two sisters, my two brothers & my mom and dad. My oldest sister.........can be a BIG butt..... It sounds like your sister doesn't care about your opinions, or your animals OR your things. A dog like that is nothing but trouble in the end. really? "waiting for him to do something really bad and have to put him to sleep " I mean really?? If she knows he is aggressive and could KILL someone or something..... lets just say If I had a dog get mean or aggressive, A- I would have it rehomed to someone who can and knows how to train it. B- Have it put down (Although I hate putting things down..). Your sister is not even thinking of the people she lives with/is around 24/7. You are her sister/Brother? She needs to realize that dog could hurt any of you, even her or her boyfriend. I hope she realizes that dog is dangerous. Its not worth having your family get hurt over, I love my animals and cant imagine life without them, but, my family is my everything........Ive already lost my baby brother. Tell your sister you all love the dog and would never want to hurt him, but, yall love her more. Tell her you dont want the dog to hurt her and that its not worth risking her and other peoples lives for her own stubbornness. Tell her to think about it, she loves her family? loves her boyfriend? then why keep something who can hurt the ones you love? I wouldn't..
I am her older sister. I think she’s projecting herself onto the dog. Giving up on the dog is like giving up on herself. I strongly believe he should have been euthanized after he bit my moms ear. She ALMOST put him to sleep, but the vet (who doesn’t know the extent of his issues) wanted to try a few more meds to help keep him calm. If he’s doing this because he’s in pain, he needs to be put down. She makes a lot of excuses, but lately I noticed she spends very little time around her dog. It’s like if she doesn’t see him act up, then she can pretend he is the dog she imagines he is. When she first adopted him after he came up to her car, she and my mom believed he was sent from ~Jesus~. Turns out he ran away from his old owners, escaped some people who found him and tried to find his owners, escaped from her upstairs neighbors, and found her car. I can’t even make this stuff up. The second time I met him when she visited two years ago, he bit every person in our house. He tried to jump out of her car on the highway and cracked her windshield. It’s like what I’m a villain when I try to have logical, very needed conversations.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I’m wondering if I could buy a metal wire dog pen to put around it. That might help protect it. It’s too heavy to put most places. I believe my parents are so afraid of confronting her about the dog. She will become emotional and twist their words and make herself the victim instead of putting the dog in her room (he would destroy HER things then). I think it’s gotten out of hand. He bit my mom’s ear, and she should have gotten stitches. I helped her clean the wound every day. She is so lucky it didn’t get infected. The dog has one bite report on his record after he bit my mom’s arm breaking up a dog fight. He is a rescue, so I don’t know what other history he has. Over time I guess his problems have become normal life. They shouldn’t be. I don’t go in the living room where he likes to sleep anymore. I avoid him as much as possible because I decided that if he bites me I will report it. I would want him to be euthanized. My sister’s upset this morning because I think her dog damaged the milker. I should be the one upset with her dog, but I’m not allowed to be. He ripped apart a mattress last month. He’s ripped wiring out of the atv twice. I’m hoping my sister will move out and take the dog with her. I’m trying to be patient until then. Seeing him around the farm animals makes me very nervous. It would be easier having one of my Nigerian bucks living in the house than this dog.
The dog would be getting no reprive from us! Find a nice place and dig a hole..... shoot him. He is agressive to you and livestock and tearing up very expensive equipment. Make sister pay for the fix!. She refuses to deal with it instead rewards him for it. No no no.

I will tell you. My mother adopted a mean pit mix from the pound. We that he knew lived here could not go into her home. My mother has lewy bodies dimentia and lots of fun things come with that. I told her over and over again if i need get in the house and he will not let me i WILL shoot him in your living room. She did like your sister and made excuses. Then the dog started to come to our house. One mornin he decided he was having turkey hen. As i was cleaning this hen mama walks up. I just told her to take that dog home and i jad better not see him anymore. It ended up me being pretty nasty cause she kept coming up. So she takes the dog home and leaves him out. She is sitting at my table and sees him go off with a chicken not two hours later. Mind you the whole time she is asking ME if i actually saw him attack my hen... yes i did. But nooooo he would not do that. That is when she decided it was ok to call the vet. Not because he had threatened me many times but cause he was carting off a chicken.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts
I am her older sister. I think she’s projecting herself onto the dog. Giving up on the dog is like giving up on herself. I strongly believe he should have been euthanized after he bit my moms ear. She ALMOST put him to sleep, but the vet (who doesn’t know the extent of his issues) wanted to try a few more meds to help keep him calm. If he’s doing this because he’s in pain, he needs to be put down. She makes a lot of excuses, but lately I noticed she spends very little time around her dog. It’s like if she doesn’t see him act up, then she can pretend he is the dog she imagines he is. When she first adopted him after he came up to her car, she and my mom believed he was sent from ~Jesus~. Turns out he ran away from his old owners, escaped some people who found him and tried to find his owners, escaped from her upstairs neighbors, and found her car. I can’t even make this stuff up. The second time I met him when she visited two years ago, he bit every person in our house. He tried to jump out of her car on the highway and cracked her windshield. It’s like what I’m a villain when I try to have logical, very needed conversations.
Wow.......I still cant believe your mom and dad puts up with that......I know I couldn't.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts