The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Here’s what I would do. I would go to your sister and say this: “you have two choices. 1 move out and take your dog with you, or 2 I’m taking your dog to the vet tomorrow to get put down.”
It’s time to stand up to your family and do something. If they get mad don’t back down. If your sister refuses then load up the dog and take him to the vet! Show them you are serious. If she throws a childish fit then threaten to make her pay for your milking machine repairs.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Boy... I just now read through this thread and this is a scary situation. No family should be held hostage by a vicious dog with schizophrenic mood swings. It would be nice if you could pack the dog up and take it straight to the vet for euthanasia and deal with the family fallout afterwards, but that may not be possible since you don't actually own the dog, and it could open you to criminal charges and a lawsuit. I suggest purchasing a muzzle and putting it on the dog any time it's loose. If your sister isn't home very much then she won't be able to do anything about it. I think you can even get a type of restraining order that requires a dog to be muzzled any time it's around people other than the owner. Then it would be your sister's responsibility to muzzle the dog every time she's not home. That way if it objects to being muzzled, she'll be the one that gets bitten.

As for the milking machine, it stinks that it got chewed up but this sounds like a problem that's not too hard to prevent in the future. Can you put it inside a large floor cabinet? That way you can wheel it in and out as needed but it will be protected when not in use.

Good luck! This is not an easy situation.

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
You are indeed very smart and so right in the way you feel. We are on your side. I myself am very proud of you for standing up, to what is right. 🤗

It isn’t fair or right the way your parents think the way they do and is concerning.

If you are old enough to decide for yourself, would it be out of the question to ask grandma or another relative who understands where you are coming from, to move in with them and take your animals there?

It seems you are living in a bad atmosphere, which isn’t fair to a beautiful hearted young women.
Stress is not a good thing, when you are totally in the right here and no one will listen. It makes life hard.

Prayers to you, hope somehow, things will get better for you and your animals soon and find a better solution.

Here are the laws in Missouri, is this the state you reside in?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yes, I live in Missouri. My grandma lives too close to the city to take my goats there. This property is like a dream for me (146 acres). She moved in last December to save up money for a place with her boyfriend. She says she doesn’t want to be engaged and live with her parents. I REALLY hope she means that. The dog takes a significant portion of her income. She has spent thousands on him, and my parents have spent thousands on him. I don’t think she has managed to save much money.

Thanks everyone! It means a lot to me! I’m being bribed to be quiet by my mom at the moment. She’s helping me set up a milking room in the basement. I’m going to have it fenced in to keep the dog out and goats in. It’s going to have a sink and counter. The machine will be protected.

As far as the dog goes…My sister is reaching for some way to put them blame on another dog (especially mine who is in my room when I can’t watch her). She told me she didn’t think it was him because he’s been so good lately. He tried to bite me last week, but she believes that was my problem. He snapped at my mom yesterday and the day before. My mom didn’t mention a thing to my sister about it. She doesn’t want to upset her because he didn’t make contact. He’s starting to take possession of my parents’ bedroom. But it’s like no one else sees this. My sister and her boyfriend were talking about how silly the dog is when they came home from work and he runs over to their cars and pees on the tires.Why is that cute??He’s being dominant. It makes my head hurt.

My sister thought she felt a mass in his abdomen yesterday, and I can’t help but hope his life might just come to end end due to his multitude of health problems. That would be the optimal outcome. Such a shame! He will be missed. I doubt it will work out this way… My dad has mentioned taking care of the problem. That would cause a huge rift in the family, though. I know if anything happened to her dog, she would press charges and I would never see her again. I don’t want to lose her and betray her. The dog has already caused me stress. I believe the time will be right to sit down and have this conversation will her. I’m still mulling over what to say. She has the flu as well, so I know now isn’t the time. I do think he needs to start wearing a muzzle. My sister mentioned that herself a month ago. But she didn’t follow through with it, and I know she will get triggered when I mention it. He has a shock collar with a tracking system. It’s starting to glitch and not connect. That might be my way into mentioning a muzzle. She put one on him when he went to the vet to have his nails trimmed, since he will bite her if she tries to do it herself. Why shouldn’t he wear one to protect her family?

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
Dogs can’t wear a muzzle for long periods of time. They have to pant and is cruel.

You can tell your sister, I love you very much and I feel your dog may be suffering if that lump is cancerous.
It may be why he is acting the way he is, because he is in a lot of pain.
It may of spread throughout the body depending on the type of cancer, it may be a good idea to have it tested or have him put down. Lumps are not a good sign.
If you love your dog, it would be in the best interest for him.

·
Registered
811 Posts
there are muzzles that are large that the dog can pant.supposedly drink and eat although it would be difficult in my opinion. i bought one for my dog when we have people over. she is tied out of the way but some "people" are dumb and try to go up and pet her even when i say not too. so i wont get sued if she tries to nip because she has the muzzle on. so far its a work in progress to get her used to it. you cant just hook it on and leave it. please dont use a shock collar if it doesnt work correctly... shocking the dog randomly is cruel.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
there are muzzles that are large that the dog can pant.supposedly drink and eat although it would be difficult in my opinion. i bought one for my dog when we have people over. she is tied out of the way but some "people" are dumb and try to go up and pet her even when i say not too. so i wont get sued if she tries to nip because she has the muzzle on. so far its a work in progress to get her used to it. you cant just hook it on and leave it. please dont use a shock collar if it doesnt work correctly... shocking the dog randomly is cruel.
It doesn’t shock randomly. It doesn’t connect to the app on phones to tone or shock. Not that he ever had it on thought enough to make contact with his skin anyway.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’m with Sfwife, I would have already shot that dog and claimed I had no idea where it went to. Biting any of the livestock around here is a no let alone a person that lives there (strangers are free to go after). But I understand that might not be something you can do. So I would get the meanest hot fence charger you could find and set up around your goats and your stuff. Let him take that on and see how cute it is. Don’t muzzle him! If he has already bit you for doing nothing trying to get a muzzle on him is probably going to set him over the edge and I would rather not read how you got your face ripped off.
Let your sister know that if he bites you or ends up getting into your goats you WILL report him. Don’t argue with her. If she gets jerkish about it just tell her I’m not going to argue just giving you a heads up and walk away. Depending on how your state deals with aggressive dogs that could end up being a huge fine for your sister.
Your parents are adults and making their own choice. You did right by your mom and brought up what might happen and now it is up to her to either listen or deal with the fall out when it happens. As hard as it is just sit back.
I am SO sorry you are having to deal with this. This is such a tough situation and you are not in the wrong. I don’t see that dog lasting very long so just do what you can to protect you and your stuff.
As for the Milker, do you have the new set up where it’s like a dolly? Or the older set up? If the older one get a tote and put it in. If the new one, well I don’t have that but try and think of something you could put it in to keep it safe.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m with Sfwife, I would have already shot that dog and claimed I had no idea where it went to. Biting any of the livestock around here is a no let alone a person that lives there (strangers are free to go after). But I understand that might not be something you can do. So I would get the meanest hot fence charger you could find and set up around your goats and your stuff. Let him take that on and see how cute it is. Don’t muzzle him! If he has already bit you for doing nothing trying to get a muzzle on him is probably going to set him over the edge and I would rather not read how you got your face ripped off.
Let your sister know that if he bites you or ends up getting into your goats you WILL report him. Don’t argue with her. If she gets jerkish about it just tell her I’m not going to argue just giving you a heads up and walk away. Depending on how your state deals with aggressive dogs that could end up being a huge fine for your sister.
Your parents are adults and making their own choice. You did right by your mom and brought up what might happen and now it is up to her to either listen or deal with the fall out when it happens. As hard as it is just sit back.
I am SO sorry you are having to deal with this. This is such a tough situation and you are not in the wrong. I don’t see that dog lasting very long so just do what you can to protect you and your stuff.
As for the Milker, do you have the new set up where it’s like a dolly? Or the older set up? If the older one get a tote and put it in. If the new one, well I don’t have that but try and think of something you could put it in to keep it safe.
Her boyfriend might take a job an hour away. I don’t know if she will go with him and take the job. At least my parents are on the same page that the dog will not be welcome living here if she decides to try and leave him here. The milker is the new one.My dad mounted it to a small metal cart so it can wheel around. I am hoping that by the end of this weekend it will be in the basement if my milking room gets finished. I realized yesterday that there is a mouse problem in the basement. There’s mouse poop and the place smells like mouse urine. You can tell there’s a ton of mice.

My sister and her boyfriend live in a room in the basement, and she has a lot of boxes of random stuff. I’ve asked her before to throw her trash away or sort some of her stuff so the basement isn’t just full of her things. It looks like a hoarder’s house on tv. I used to not be able to walk through the basement, but eventually someone made a path. She’ll flip it on me and not clean up, but because my milker is going to be down there it won’t be just her space anymore. They have food lying out. Food and lots of boxes for them to live in is a bad combination. My parents also have stuff they need to go through and throw out. Going down there makes me sad. I told my parents the mice WILL be making there way to the main level of the house soon. We already have a serious mouse problem in the garage with my mom putting bags of dog food on shelves and forgetting it’s there and buying more dog food. I’m probably going to just start tossing stuff if no one helps or tells me what I can’t throw away. I know that might lead to a little theater of hurt feelings. Humans shouldn’t live in trash and mouse infestation. I don’t want my milking machine to have mice chewing it too. Her dog has caused damage to the house already. She’s an adult. This is just unacceptable. The house is a year old.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That is a lot to deal with. If you love the property and there’s a lot of acreage, would it be possible to make your own little place there? Have a small, simple house and barn in an area you could fence off and have for just you, your animals, and your things?
I do dream of that but don’t have the money for that! I loved the idea of a family homestead, but the reality is that it comes with a lot of stress. When people argue about helping and say it’s not their responsibility to help, the work load piles up and feels like a burden. No one else feeds the goats because they can’t understand what to feed them or how much. That’s not a problem with me but for some reason that’s my fault. I try to show them. I write it down. I’ve come to not trust anyone else to feed them properly. My dad sometimes helps me bring them to the house to milk them and he will clean the machine for me if he has time. I’m very grateful for that. My mom helped me make a giant batch of scrambled eggs for all the birds today. That was nice of her. I needed that. My sister’s boyfriend is offering to help clean the basement with me. If my family can come together to help each other do things, chores and projects will be so much easier. We haven’t canned a thing from the gardens because each one of us avoids the responsibility. I’ve suggested making it a fun family night. I believe doing things together helps build trust and opens up conversations. My dad saw my sister’s dog’s behavior yesterday while he went with me to help me feed the goats. The goats spill a bit of feed when they eat, and the dog tries to eat it through the fence. I don’t know why the dog is out, but he just keeps popping up. My mom says it’s cute to see him following me around. It’s NOT fun for me. My dad saw the animal’s posture. I told him how I believe the dog will bite me if I go back to the trough to feed the goats their next scoop of feed. He agreed with my assessment of the dog’s body language. Then the dog snapped at one of the goats through the fence. We got my sister to take him in the house. My dad discussed keeping the dog inside while I am feeding the animals. It might help if I’m not the only “villain” and other people see his behavior.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
Youve got some very adult thinking! I like your ideas. Im glad your Dad witnessed the dogs behavior, and is willing to help you fix some of the problem.
Good of the boyfriend to offer help to clean up the mess. If he has a truck, load the trash and junk, take it to the dump!
Keep working, it sounds like some are slowly coming to understand your ideas!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It’s sounds like your family is right on the cusp of coming together and making a homestead work. I hope it happens for all of you. And I hope the dog can be out of the picture and out of his own misery soon, and at least out of the way and not causing harm until then.

·
Administrator
84,842 Posts
You should be very proud of yourself.
You are so smart in the way you are handling things, keep up the good work. :)

I would say, put up a hotline so the dog won’t reach through the fence.
But keeping the dog inside while you go outside is wise.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts