The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Too long to read version: Baby goat is OK! Sister’s dog went after him. Sister angrily moving out with dog.

My sister’s dog tried to kill Pumpkin Spice yesterday, but I saw it coming, rushed over there, realizing Pumpkin was approaching the dog. I held the dog to the couch as hard as I could while he tried to bite me and go after the goat. Pumpkin saw me and jumped on the couch and froze in fear. I don’t know how I did it, but I slipped my hand through Pumpkin’s collar, swished him up in the air, and caught him with my right hand while holding the frenzied dog by the back of the neck and collar. It was such a terrifying situation. Thank God I got there in time. It makes me so nauseous to remember.

Pumpkin had slipped out of my room when I opened the door to go to the bathroom. Despite my sister insisting dog was just fine with the baby…surprise! I know I should have been more careful. But WHY is THIS dog allowed free reign? The other dogs are put away in rooms, but he gets the rest of the house? What has happened here?

I told my sister what happened, and she immediately blamed the dog’s behavior on a rash he has right now in his armpits. Really. No apology. No acknowledgment of the situation. No asking if the goat and I are ok. I put the dog in the basement where her room is. I didn’t touch him. The ecollar system worked very well for this. He chewed, scratched the door, and barked for hours. My mom has decided that’s enough. My dad, too, seems to believe that’s enough as well.

Dog has gotten worse. Dog might be having small seizures. He sits in one place doing weird neck motions. He doesn’t play anymore, just neurotically chases things. He is always dancing between play chasing other dogs and fighting them. Dog fights are every other day without clear triggers. He is ready to bite anyone for touching him. At all times, he seems to be looking for a reason to snap. He hasn’t actually bitten a person this past month, but that’s because everyone is so careful. My sister makes up an excuse every time and blames everything and everyone except her dog. We all walk around him watching him carefully.

My parents and I were reflecting on our promise to Treasure to take care of her kid. Treasure hated this dog. I keep that in the back of my head as a warning. The animals sense something is wrong with this dog. He was in the basement a few days ago, and the other dogs (2 Great Danes, my Bluetick, the senile cocker spaniel) started playing with each other and the goat. It was very cute and gentle. Healthy play. We talked about how peaceful it was, how it felt like we could breathe, how we haven’t seen the dogs play inside for months. Mom said, “I have my house back!” The next day, the dog attacked my sister’s boyfriend’s dog. My parents told me if he goes after the goat, then he has to go.

Last night, my sister was irate with everyone.😒 Surprise. All I said to her was I think her dog is at a high risk of biting someone or killing another dog in the house. He should be in the basement more often away from other animals and isolated, so he has alone time and can’t attack other animals that approach the living room. (Didn’t say this to her: I think this is the bare minimum of dog ownership.) She tried to get a reaction by asking me angrily if I’m saying she should put her dog down. The thing is, that comment no longer makes anyone in the house feel bad for her. We all don’t care anymore about the guilt trip. Everyone, I did real good! I kept my cool and only talked in facts. I kept all emotion out of it. Hard to do!

She’s moving out. I know she wants to be the victim, but no one cares anymore about the melodrama. It isn’t about petty drama. The dog is dangerous. It’s only a matter of time now. I’m wondering if she herself is just before the stage of acceptance that dog needs to be put to sleep. She can’t let go. It’s just making it so hard for her. I’m worried she is going to break. It’s not healthy, and I feel her emotions are building to something very bad. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I fear for her. I sympathize about putting dog down, really, but she has done the bare minimum to protect others and her dog. It would be easier if she accepted her dog’s behavior as a progressively terminal medical condition. He has a ton of physical issues already. He is not healthy in mind and body. The lumps on his belly have grown. I’m hoping he gets diagnosed with something that helps her make peace with letting the dog go. I also hope she forgives herself and let’s go of her resentments toward the rest of the family.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I will remember all advice given and remember to have confidence and rationality next time I see her. I will say nothing to provoke her and will keep in mind ways my words could be distorted by her searching mind. You guys really helped me with this! It gives me peace. I’m no longer divided. I know her dog needs to go, and because of everyone here I don’t feel the guilt about it I used to feel.

Plus, I’ve had a stressful time since last weekend with Treasure’s kidding and eventual loss. Seeing this dog that looks weirdly like her (orange and white), suffering and making everyone else suffer…It’s kind of putting things into a new context. I lost a wonderful goat the family loved spending time with, and here’s this dog that looks like her draining joy from the household. I think my parents also feel the strangeness. For whatever reason I can’t quite explain, saying goodbye to him seems much easier (or at least telling my sister to say goodbye or move out with him seems easier). I don’t know if I feel impartial from Treasure’s passing, since I just went through the process of drawing a line between emotions and wants vs the best interest of the animal. It seems so very clear dog needs to go even if my sister moves out and doesn’t speak to us for months. It’s just what’s best for the farm right now. It’s weirdly easy to say! Thanks all! You’ve really helped me with this!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Poor pumpkin! He must have terrified! Btw I have a dog named Pumpkin!

Heres my baby! He is one of our 9 dogs. He just turned 3 the 10th of this month!☺
View attachment 213780 View attachment 213781
He was really quiet and wide-eyed. I won’t forget those innocent blue eyes staring at me while I held back the crazy dog! Pumpkin was completely quiet until we got to the hallway of my room. Then he just started screaming. 😢

Pumpkin is a great name! He looks cute and fluffy. My personal dog is named Maple May. I named her after a bear in the game Animal Crossing with a sweet and gentle personality. It’s amazing how great Maple is with the goat. She was begging him to lay next to her last night.🤣😭 Pawing in his direction and whining because he was sleeping at the edge of the bed. Can’t get enough of these two cuties! So wholesome. I hope my sister finds a good dog some day and learns they are meant to add joy, not stress, to your life.
Comfort Working animal Fawn Dog breed Companion dog
Mammal Goat Sheep Goat-antelope Fawn

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
First, way to save Pumpkin! So glad you were quick and brave and able to stop an attack. After all you went through with losing Treasure, I’m so relieved you were able to keep her baby safe.

And way to go. I’m glad you stayed calm and focused on logic and fact. If you do that, there’s really nothing someone in the wrong can say (other than trying their best to turn it into an emotional debate). I’m glad your mom and dad are on the same page now. I hope your sister is able to see the light soon, for her sake and the dog’s.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,050 Posts
He was really quiet and wide-eyed. I won’t forget those innocent blue eyes staring at me while I held back the crazy dog! Pumpkin was completely quiet until we got to the hallway of my room. Then he just started screaming. 😢

Pumpkin is a great name! He looks cute and fluffy. My personal dog is named Maple May. I named her after a bear in the game Animal Crossing with a sweet and gentle personality. It’s amazing how great Maple is with the goat. She was begging him to lay next to her last night.🤣😭 Pawing in his direction and whining because he was sleeping at the edge of the bed. Can’t get enough of these two cuties! So wholesome. I hope my sister finds a good dog some day and learns they are meant to add joy, not stress, to your life. View attachment 213782 View attachment 213783
Awww!! How cute!!! They look great together❤ Again so happy for you!❤❤❤🌷🎉🎉🎉

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
My sister took her dog to the vet for his armpits today and talked to them for awhile. He does have infected armpits and likely more infection in other places. She thinks he IS having seizures and noted his personality is completely different than last time she saw him. He was extremely fearful and snapped at the vet when they gave him a shot. Last month he let them trim his nails, and they didn’t think he would need a muzzle his last visit. This time was different. With the personality changes, seizures, appetite changes, and aggression, the vet believes he most likely has a progressive brain tumor. That was actually my guess! Weird. It could be a thyroid issue because it is linked to aggression, and he has gained weight. He is going to be on a powder for GI problems and pain for 2 months. If he doesn’t improve, she is going to do an MRI. Personally, that’s a lot of money for an aggressive dog. I think if he didn’t improve, MRI time should be euthanasia time. If he has a brain tumor, he is going to get a lot worse, and the treatment for it involves a drug similar to one that gave him seizures. So MRI that would confirm or deny a tumor results in the same outcome either way.

My sister is on speaking terms with me again. I listened to her. She felt better that his aggression is health related, and there’s nothing she did to cause this. I reassured her as well that she can make peace with his issues and not feel the guilt she’s been carrying. She was really upset. I picked up on some feelings of relief. I don’t know if she’s ready to admit it, but I think a part of her is glad to know there is something really wrong with the dog, and her stress with him might be coming to an end. I told her he was not a dog that could ever have been rehabbed. There is just no one that could have made him a happy dog. She said she thinks he is just miserable. He is going to be wearing a muzzle when out around people and dogs. She has decided to keep her in her room when he can’t be watched. She’s also still moving out soon, which is good, since I can’t take another 2 months maybe seeing if the magical powder will help or dog tries to rip someone’s face off. She did still try to blame others for his aggression, particularly my mother. I’m hoping the thought her dog has a brain tumor sinks in and frees her from these thoughts of blame and wanting to pay for an MRI on such a 💩show dog.

Another weird day here!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,050 Posts
My sister took her dog to the vet for his armpits today and talked to them for awhile. He does have infected armpits and likely more infection in other places. She thinks he IS having seizures and noted his personality is completely different than last time she saw him. He was extremely fearful and snapped at the vet when they gave him a shot. Last month he let them trim his nails, and they didn’t think he would need a muzzle his last visit. This time was different. With the personality changes, seizures, appetite changes, and aggression, the vet believes he most likely has a progressive brain tumor. That was actually my guess! Weird. It could be a thyroid issue because it is linked to aggression, and he has gained weight. He is going to be on a powder for GI problems and pain for 2 months. If he doesn’t improve, she is going to do an MRI. Personally, that’s a lot of money for an aggressive dog. I think if he didn’t improve, MRI time should be euthanasia time. If he has a brain tumor, he is going to get a lot worse, and the treatment for it involves a drug similar to one that gave him seizures. So MRI that would confirm or deny a tumor results in the same outcome either way.

My sister is on speaking terms with me again. I listened to her. She felt better that his aggression is health related, and there’s nothing she did to cause this. I reassured her as well that she can make peace with his issues and not feel the guilt she’s been carrying. She was really upset. I picked up on some feelings of relief. I don’t know if she’s ready to admit it, but I think a part of her is glad to know there is something really wrong with the dog, and her stress with him might be coming to an end. I told her he was not a dog that could ever have been rehabbed. There is just no one that could have made him a happy dog. She said she thinks he is just miserable. He is going to be wearing a muzzle when out around people and dogs. She has decided to keep her in her room when he can’t be watched. She’s also still moving out soon, which is good, since I can’t take another 2 months maybe seeing if the magical powder will help or dog tries to rip someone’s face off. She did still try to blame others for his aggression, particularly my mother. I’m hoping the thought her dog has a brain tumor sinks in and frees her from these thoughts of blame and wanting to pay for an MRI on such a 💩show dog.

Another weird day here!
Oh wow...thats a lot..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
So sorry you had to go through all of this but you handled it very well.

They actually make mouth guards for dogs that are similar to a muzzle but a caged style that allows them to pant, drink and eat while wearing it. If she needs other options on waiting for him to be "deemed" to be put down.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I am amazed a vet would want to take such extreme measures for an aggressive dog. I am just flabbergasted!

There are so many wonderful dogs who need a home, it's a shame he couldn't just be put down and have her find a sweet rescue dog who would be so grateful for a loving home.
This is almost exactly what my vet told me when I was struggling with an aggressive dog who had a neurological disorder. The vet and I (and trainers and behaviorists) tried everything, but when I finally realized there was no saving this one, I was able to adopt a dog who has turned into the most amazing family/farm dog I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
I really hope she finds an awesome dog after this! I keep thinking about all the other dogs she could have adopted instead. She should have taken him back to animal control the second time I met him, and he bit every person and every dog in the house. This aggression didn’t really come out of the blue. He’s just gotten much weirder.

The masses on his belly are most likely lypomas. This is actually the second time a vet has told her he may have a brain tumor.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts