The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
I once had a young dog (2 year old) that came from a litter of pups belonging to family members of my oldest grandchild. For the grandchild, this pup came to live with me because the Mother dog and remaining pups were going to the shelter. The older that pup became, the meaner he got. I had to crate him when company was here, while he barked, bit the crate door, and growled the whole time. He once tried to attack my eldest grandchild's 4 year old half brother through the bars of a heavy duty wire crate. The response of the children's Mom was, "Oh, he acts just like Sassy (the dogs Mom) did." Ding, ding, alarm bells were ringing.

One unfortunate evening, this dog (Storm) was being food aggressive towards my personal protection dog who was separated and being fed inside her own crate. Her name was Shade and she was my 9 year old Wolf Hybrid and constant companion. Shade went into a rage, and more than likely would have tried her level best to mangle Storm if given the opportunity. I took Storm by the collar to take him into another room behind a closed door, and he turned on me. Hackles raised, teeth bared, growling, barking, and trying to back me down. Shade went berserk, Storm ramped up.

The end result was having no choice other than beating Storm off with a broom until I backed him into the corner while he bit that broom numerous times and repeatedly lunged at me. The leashes were then hanging within arms reach and I made a loop by threading the fastener through the handle and tossed it successfully over his head. Storm was taken outside by using the broom handle for distance control to keep him from attacking me, and tied firmly to the basketball goal while I came back inside for a firearm.

It was the only time my heart didn't break from taking the life of an any type of animal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I once had a young dog (2 year old) that came from a litter of pups belonging to family members of my oldest grandchild. For the grandchild, this pup came to live with me because the Mother dog and remaining pups were going to the shelter. The older that pup became, the meaner he got. I had to crate him when company was here, while he barked, bit the crate door, and growled the whole time. He once tried to attack my eldest grandchild's 4 year old half brother through the bars of a heavy duty wire crate. The response of the children's Mom was, "Oh, he acts just like Sassy (the dogs Mom) did." Ding, ding, alarm bells were ringing.

One unfortunate evening, this dog (Storm) was being food aggressive towards my personal protection dog who was separated and being fed inside her own crate. Her name was Shade and she was my 9 year old Wolf Hybrid and constant companion. Shade went into a rage, and more than likely would have tried her level best to mangle Storm if given the opportunity. I took Storm by the collar to take him into another room behind a closed door, and he turned on me. Hackles raised, teeth bared, growling, barking, and trying to back me down. Shade went berserk, Storm ramped up.

The end result was having no choice other than beating Storm off with a broom until I backed him into the corner while he bit that broom numerous times and repeatedly lunged at me. The leashes were then hanging within arms reach and I made a loop by threading the fastener through the handle and tossed it successfully over his head. Storm was taken outside by using the broom handle for distance control to keep him from attacking me, and tied firmly to the basketball goal while I came back inside for a firearm.

It was the only time my heart didn't break from taking the life of an any type of animal.
That answers why they took the mother dog to the shelter! Yikes! It’s great you had a broom near by at that time. This dog is so close to that. Your story is a reminder that this dog is going to do that.

He’s gone after people before, and it takes several people to get the dog away from someone or something he’s cornered or is attacking. Last year, he grabbed my wrist when I went to pet him and wouldn’t let go. Several of us tried to get him to drop my arm, he left bruises and a little blood, but I pulled my arm out of his mouth when he let go to rev up and snap at me with full intention to mutilate this time while my sister pulled him away. That really would have been a great end point in his life. And she tells me now to give him food rewards when I think he’s being aggressive! She has sealed his bad moments away in her memory.

He’s drawn blood a few times, a few teeth marks here and there, other dogs and turkeys have had a few holes in them, and he nearly ripped my mom’s ear off. I feel incredibly nervous to be alone with the dog. My sister glosses over most incidents and downplays it. I’m sure if he doesn’t have a brain tumor, my sister will continue her life denying how bad the dog is until he kills her boyfriend’s dog when they move into their apartment. Or he will really hurt them or a stranger. He would certainly bite a child that approaches him. I sincerely hope the dog acts sick, and she decides to euthanize him. My dad is a few more arguments about the dog’s aggression away from making the decision for her. Like your experience, when dogs act aggressive, the dog doesn’t bite gentler next time. The aggression almost always gets worse. Every time he fights another dog or snaps at a person, it seems he gets easier to trigger. I read an article that suggested aggressive dogs jump stages, and each time you have to assume the worst stage will become the norm. They can also go to killing someone by jumping several stages ahead.

This dog just doesn’t have the redeemable qualities to fight fate for anyway. The dog she describes doesn’t exist and never has!

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
@Emrcornerranch if it would help please consider letting family members read about Storm. Can't deny I was the "bad guy" for a little while, though that mattered not so much to me. I tolerated that demon dog longer than I should have, because they were going to get him when they found another place to live, etc. Even after the dog tried to go after their child! Told them, he couldn't be trusted, replied he would make a good watch dog.

I am very experienced in training dogs, taught obedience levels 1-3, intermediate and level 1 agility for 23 years combined. Currently both my dogs have CGC, level 2 obedience, and level 1 agility, certificates for both. And 1 (one) has level 3 obedience, guardian, search and rescue, plus therapy dog certificates. Storm was a well trained CGC and level 2 obedience certified dog and was accomplished at intermediate agility. He was full of aggression, dominance, and could care less whether or not his behavior was pleasing to his master. And he required his own personal space and lots of redirection.

When he got to be about 1 1/2 years old, he steadily became untrustworthy and I had to constantly monitor his body language, keep him from personal contact with people and other unfamiliar dogs. Then it got to the point, he couldn't be trusted around my dog Shade, or any other person, even family. The evening he turned on me, he would not back down, be submissive, obey any commands.... he only wanted a piece of me and Shade. A person should not have to tolerate an untrustworthy, aggressive dog and I understand there can be family dynamics weighing in the mix. With all my heart, I hope it doesn't escalate any more with the dog you've been describing. Though the reality is, it will.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
@Emrcornerranch if it would help please consider letting family members read about Storm. Can't deny I was the "bad guy" for a little while, though that mattered not so much to me. I tolerated that demon dog longer than I should have, because they were going to get him when they found another place to live, etc. Even after the dog tried to go after their child! Told them, he couldn't be trusted, replied he would make a good watch dog.

I am very experienced in training dogs, taught obedience levels 1-3, intermediate and level 1 agility for 23 years combined. Currently both my dogs have CGC, level 2 obedience, and level 1 agility, certificates for both. And 1 (one) has level 3 obedience, guardian, search and rescue, plus therapy dog certificates. Storm was a well trained CGC and level 2 obedience certified dog and was accomplished at intermediate agility. He was full of aggression, dominance, and could care less whether or not his behavior was pleasing to his master. And he required his own personal space and lots of redirection.

When he got to be about 1 1/2 years old, he steadily became untrustworthy and I had to constantly monitor his body language, keep him from personal contact with people and other unfamiliar dogs. Then it got to the point, he couldn't be trusted around my dog Shade, or any other person, even family. The evening he turned on me, he would not back down, be submissive, obey any commands.... he only wanted a piece of me and Shade. A person should not have to tolerate an untrustworthy, aggressive dog and I understand there can be family dynamics weighing in the mix. With all my heart, I hope it doesn't escalate any more with the dog you've been describing. Though the reality is, it will.
His history of aggression really sounds creepily like Storm.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Dog has been staying in their room in the basement when they are not home. While they were looking at apartments yesterday, he ripped apart some things in their room. They were quite upset when they got home. My sister was a bit irritated that my parents and I didn’t clean her room up or stop her dog while she was gone. Today, I heard him going bananas down there. It sounded like plates crashing. My parents told me to resist the temptation to see what he ruined. They told me they will have to get used to this. It’s really true that she is going to have to get used to the new reality in which everyone else in the house is no longer watching him, letting him out to go potty, or stopping him from destroying the house. Pretty soon she and her boyfriend will be on their own with him. If they move an hour away, no one here will spend two hours driving just to take her dog outside to go to the bathroom. He will also be destroying their apartment. No one else will be there to stop dog fights. I’m so happy we are so close to dog being out of the house!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I’m glad your parents stopped you from going down to see what the dog was doing. It sounds like they’ve really turned the page and I’m happy you now have their support. And yep, your sister is going to have to get used to it. Hopefully they find a place soon. And hopefully your sister realizes how serious her dog’s issues are and makes sure he can’t hurt another living thing.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
A good dose of reality and sole responsibility for the dog has been long overdue. I know you have a lot of compassion for animals, even this one, deep down. (Love/hate relationship) Please, try your best to tune out whatever the dog is doing in the basement. Having animals of any kind takes dedication and commitment 24/7. This could be the game changer for your sister. 🤞

61 - 71 of 71 Posts