The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what is your best solution for combatting biting flies? I've tried citronella but it doesn't do much. My goaties are miserable! A horse person told me to use something called Swat fly repellant ointment. It isn't labeled for goats, plus has 3 different pesticides in it. My boys especially get chewed up at the cowlick on the tops of their heads. Would love to hear any and all suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
tea treee oil or 50/50 water ACV...I was also told 50/50 mix of ACV and hair conditioner..Ive tied all the costly junk and they just dont cut it...Vineagar is cheap and works for so many things...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know of some here who use the cattle ear tags that have a repellant and put onto the goats collars,Ive never tried this and have used the horse sprays that are expensive and don't work.Tea tree oil is cheap here(Tea tree is native to Aus.)Ill have to give it a go,Ive only used it neat for cuts and scratches and kitchen cleaning to keep ants out and off the kitchen bench,teejae

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently got something called Shoo-Fly from Molly's Herbals. It has tea tree oil and lemon grass among other things. My goats have gone from having clouds of flies around them to just having a few, so it seems to be working. It just needs to be applied every day...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts