BITS OF "SOLID" IN MILK????.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Apr 17, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Milked Binky this morning and just got it strained and as I was straining the other bucket..Tilly and Bootsie...I noticed that Binky's milk had a few solid pieces in the filter...her udder is not hot, milks easily and theres no blood. Why is it "flaky"? Has the same sweet, smooth flavor and texture as always.

2. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I would treat her for mastitis right away.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OK...So how do I do that? Never had an issue with mastitis.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If she does not have a fever ot the utter is not hot and hard There is no need to treat for Mastitis.
    I had a doe do that, and as I milked her out it was like a long piece of spaghetti was in there. I milked her out and it seemed to go on forever. I took her to a vet and he did a California Mastitis test and she was fine.
    He said it was just a clogged duck, and to keep milking her out until it all came out. I did that for over a week, until it was all gone.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm getting ready to go up and milk now, I really don't like to treat for something if they don't need it. Her udder isn't hot or hard, just your normal full udder. The flakes looked alot like the milk residue you get on a jug cap, I will take her temp though I feel it would be decieving as it is 75* here and she is a black goat...I' ll check her temp later....if this won't clear up would I treat her with penicillian if she starts to show symptoms?

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This time there were no "flakes" in the filter, I will keep an eye on it though.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    this would happen from time to time with my girls, I never knew why but it never turned into anything. I doubt she has mastitis coming on