Bitten Puppy . . .help

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Well, my dad's american eskimo dog had puppies four weeks ago and she's been living in the barn instead of the garage because of the need to move around more.
    She isn't the world's friendliest dog---but I would never have guessed her to do this. (she was an neglected case,
    I just came home from my cousin's wedding and found a four week old male puppy with dried blood all over his face and slighty bubbling out his nose. He has a bite mark near his eye and I actually thought his eyeball was popped because there was blood all over it. (thank heavens, he still has both eyes) but I think she bit through the nose, and so his breathing is slightly rattly, like he has a bad cold and he's breathing through his mouth.
    He is alert and doesn't seem to be in any serious pain (trying to play with me) but I am really worried about the tiny bit of blood coming out his nose. :tears:
    What should I do?

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    I'd clean it off really well, put on an antibiotic ointment and then cover it with either a band aid or gauze and tape, depending on how big it is, until it closes up.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give him some tetanus antitoxin, but thats about all I can think of right now, sorry.

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    At the clinic I work at we see pups like this often. I always think like this;
    Four week old pups are ravenous when it comes time to feed. They have very very sharp little nails and teeth. My guess is the Momma corrected him time and again for biting and scratching and getting too rough, and she finally had enough. I had biting babies when I nursed my daughters and it REALLY HURTS BAD!! So she bit him badly.
    My first instinct is to tell you to get the poor beast to the vet .
    In these trying times, where money is so hard to come by who can afford it?
    Keep the nose clean as possible. Can you get some clavimox??
    Liquid would be easiest, dose him by weight. He needs to be on anitbiotics for ten days consistantly. I also would get him away from mom unless you can be there with them so she doesn't do it again. Can you clip the other pups nails?? It pains me to see mother dogs so beat up from sharp claws!!
    Also if you can hot compress the nose 2x daily, that should help..

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you could even do pen injections if you can not get the clavamox or other antibiotic.

Keep it clean - it should be fine. It happens more then one might think.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I think he'll be okay. He stopped bleeding out of the nose, and he is very alert, eating, drinking, etc. His face is swollen, and I am washing the wound out every 2 hours with proxide.
    Thanks everyone!
    I found another puppy with a slash across his nose, (just a scratch) but I watched one trying to nurse ands he wasn't having it so I decided to pull most of the pups before she seriously injures one. She has the runt with her now to make sure she doesn't get mastitis, but the others are eating and drinking just fine.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Don't use peroxide after 24 hours of the wound.... it kills healthy tissue. Just clean it with a chlorhexidine soultion or a gentle soap and water scrub. Then apply an antibiotic cream that does not have steriods in it.

Sounds like he is doing well.

Have you given any antibiotics?

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    No. :( I ran out a week ago and haven't been to town to get some. But we are going to town tomorrow, so I'll pick some up.
    :sigh: Why do disasterous things always happen when your out of antibiotics?

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I just found some antibiotics in our outside fridge. . . .how much should i give him? (Dad usually gives theshots, but he isn't here . . .)