The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I have a saanen doe that has a lot of milk to offer that we all don't like... the milk has a bitter after taste to it... when I first bought her she had sweet milk... came off green pasture..

since buying her she has kidded... we live on dry browse... with some access to green lawn..

I have been running fecals on her and have found that she has a lot of either liver fluke or stomach worm eggs on the slide that show up... I did a lot of research and treated her with Ivermectin plus injectable for 10 days apart three times... it didn't seem to make a difference!! ... she also gets natural dewormer weekly... I feel like I have not made progress in getting rid of these worms... none of our other goats fecals show up with these eggs...

I have been reading about B-12 deficiency and how it could affect the flavor...

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her milk/health back on track... she looks really healthy but continues to show signs of worms on slides!!

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
What herbal wormer are you using? What was the Ivomec dose that you used? I bet you saw barberpole worms and Ivomec should have taken care of it unless you have a resistance going on.

Also, do a search on salty bitter milk and there are a ton of suggestions for helping with bitter taste.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using molly's herbal wormer and I used 4cc SQ... I really wasn't sure exactly what worm eggs I was seeing but used a dewormer that would be broad spectrum for all possible kinds... (I used to read dog/cat fecals - but am new to goat)...

I got her from a breeder that used natural methods and had copper bloused her previously...

the milk is not salty and I have tested for mastitis... always comes up negative...

I have been reading about the need for a cobalt salt lick to help with vitamin b usage??

I called around and can only get this online...

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with or had this happen to them and corrected it through minerals or supplements and had any luck with a wormer - what I am trying it just not getting rid of what she has??

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
You would dose the Ivomec at 1cc per 40 lbs so that should have taken care of it. I'm suspecting resistance with Ivomec. You can try Valbazen at 1cc per 10lbs and that is given orally. Since she has a high load, I would do it for 3 days in a row. Then follow up with another dose 10 days later. It is very important to know what parasites you are seeing since Ivomec doesn't take care of all worms. Do you know what coccidia looks like? If you aren't sure what worms, then I would send the fecal in to someone who can tell you what they are. Check out this thread for a place you can mail fecal samples in to: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/start-getting-fecals-done-before-worming-151299/

As far as herbals, when you have a larger load, you really need to be doing it multiple times per day, daily. Molly's Herbs are not good for an actual worm load. Great for maintaining but not to rid. If you want to try the herbal route, then you need to go to Fir Meadow and get her Deworm A and GI Soother and give them at like twice the dosage 3 times a day for a week or so. Herbals need to be given much more frequently to be effective. http://store.firmeadowllc.com/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=7f63f3212a69c24b8b95713a9615fee3

Copper bolus will also kill barberpole worm on contact for up to 18 hours after administration. So Copper bolusing her would help too. When was she actually copper bolused last?

I would also strongly suggest reading through this thread: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f183/milk-tastes-bitter-salty-148778/ It has a lot in it that would be helpful to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you everyone!! I will read through all the links and threads you directed me too... I appreciate all the information... I was trying to go a more natural route but not opposed to conventional when needed... especially since she has such a high count... I used fiasco.com to look at the different egg types and compare them to what I was seeing... so am comfortable with what I saw but am interested in where I can send fecal too!! .. yes, I'm familiar with coccidia... she might have had one on the slide, but that was all.. she had a lot of either liver fluke or the stomach worm... would be nice to have definite confirmation though!! thank you so much...

we use loose minerals... i had just kept reading about needing a cobalt salt lick available...

thanks everyone!!! we bought this girl so that our family would have lots of milk to drink and make cheese/yogurt with... and so far we have been giving it away to a friend with pigs or dumping it.... very frustrating and sad at the same time!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nygoatmom..... i just read that entire thread and i was in tears... i feel that same frustration!! ... we have other milk goats that have sweet milk who are eating the same thing as this goat is... we do have hard water here too...

i am ordering the copper bolus right away!! ... crossing fingers that within the next month and half we can drink her milk!! (unfortunately we will be going into fall and breeding season soon after i guess, but if we can drink her milk for a month i would be happy) :)

ksalvango.... it must have been almost a year or more since she has had a copper bolus done by the previous owner... i think i will get valbazen as soon as i can and try that for her worm load ... once i get it under control i will go back to natural de wormer program... if valbazen doesn't help then i will use the fir meadows treatment!! ... love the link for the place to send fecals into!! thanks!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- update -

7/30/13 - gave copper bolus
08/19/13 - gave Valbazen
08/28/13 - gave -vitamin B-12 complex SQ
09/25/13 -positive fecal - strongyles + coccidia
09/26/13 - Ivermectin Plus orally
bought a cobalt block to add to her loose minerals and block minerals...

*** note - milk starting to taste better and not so bitter***

10/20/13 - positive fecal - assortment of parasite worm eggs that I saw on slide
10/21/13 - vet hospital confirmed positive fecal for strongyles
10/22/13 - wanted further confirmation and ID of parasites - sent to WADDL - positive for Coccidia, Strongyle, whipworm
11/11/13 - breed doe

life got crazy :)

03/27/14 - positive fecal - Strongyle plus larvae of something

she is dry now since she will be kidding next month... I am really concerned for the worm load to escalate with kidding...

She doesn't seem to be responding to the above treatments of deworming?? my Nigerians are maintaining their negative fecals..

Has anyone tried DE (diatomaceous earth) ... Fiasco doesn't feel this works... others do??

or any other suggestions?? I really would hate to give her something during the pregnancy... wondering if I should pre purchase the best coccidia treatment and dewormer and have it ready in birthing kit to give directly after kidding ??

so frustrating!!

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
wow...she is one hard keeper! I am using herbal wormer now from lands of havilah..the gal is super helpful..you can email her whats going on and she will share what she thinks can help...she is very helpful and very prompt..
http://www.landofhavilahfarm.com

Best wishes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ksalvango - thanks .. Fir Meadows sounds familiar - I will look into it and see what I can find :)

happybleats - thanks.. It would be great to talk with her and see if she has any ideas for a doe like her... she really gives us so much milk and seems healthy and strong.. I just feel like if I could just find the right thing to treat her we would be good :) ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not posted in a while on my milk goat, but I thought maybe this would be helpful to anyone having trouble with this also.... I had really given up on her... I was recently considering selling this high producing milk goat when a change of events amazed me...

I had gotten a sample of milk from this goat to pass along to lady who was looking for a high producing milk goat -- she was informed that her milk did have a bitter flavor to it ...

I had thought that I would just set aside a little bit of milk for me to taste one last time before sending the milk out to the gal interested...

Her milk was sweet!!!!!!! and was tasted by several of my friends who loved it!!!

Just a few weeks previous to this tasting I had bought some nice grass hay... I had noticed it smelled sweet and looked really nice and clean... my usual alfalfa grass mix was not available anymore for this season.... (and I had bought a pony that needed to get off of alfalfa - it was being fed to her before I bought her and she was not in good condition)

All this time I had been experimenting with feeds to change her flavor, along with minerals, vitamins, deworming ect..... and it was taking the alfalfa out of the mix and feeding this really nice grass hay that made the difference!!!!!!

This made sense too because when I bought her she was on a grass pasture .. we are a dryer lot with some shorter grass in spring, but don't have that lush pasture she came from...

I think all of the feeds I had tried involved some sort of alfalfa pellet or alfalfa hay for her nutritional needs....

So now I'm on a mission to finding her a supplement that will not change her milk flavor... I am currently trying soaked oats with apple cider vinegar as a starter.. I haven't tried her milk since starting these oats a week ago...

All this time and effort and it was good grass hay that made the difference!!!

A friend had read that some goats may not be able to process? certain feeds like other goats can? our Nigerians seem to eat anything and still produce great milk..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts