bitter tasting milk

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Rockymeadowsfarm, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Rockymeadowsfarm

Rockymeadowsfarm New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Hello, we have two nigerian dwarfs that just kidded two weeks ago. I have begun to milk them once in the morning after they have been separated from their kids through the night. The milk has an almost sour taste to it. :( Could it be that the colostrum is not fully gone (although it is foaming when I milk)? Or could it be some other reason? I have a Nubian that I had milked earlier this year, we got her way after she had freshened. Her milk was amazingly sweet! I want that same sweet milk back and was expecting that from my dwarfs. Any suggestions?

2. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Are they ff sometimes it takes ff a little longer to get the taste up to snuff. Have you tested for mastitis? What are they eating? Sometimes alot of weeds will make the milk taste awful.

3. Rockymeadowsfarm

Sep 26, 2013
    I'm sorry, I'm new to goat lingo =) what is 'ff' ? There are no signs of mastitis and they are strictly on hay and a dairy pro 16 grain

4. Rockymeadowsfarm

Sep 26, 2013
    nevermind, I figured out it was first time freshener. They both have been bred before, but it has been along time in between, we are talking years. Could that make a difference?

5. enchantedgoats

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    How fast are you getting it cold? We put ours in an ice bath within minutes. It may still be colostrum, i would give it a couple more days and be sure to put it on ice fast.

6. Rockymeadowsfarm

Sep 26, 2013
    I get it strained and in the fridge pretty quick (or at least I think I am) no different than what I was doing with my nubian. I'll give it some more time. I read also it could be a vit B or cobalt deficiency, anyone have experience with that?

7. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    How about her minerals? Does she get enough copper?

8. enchantedgoats

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    i was just goimg to say that!!:cool:

9. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I had the same problem with my FF nd this summer. She had a single doeling and it took almost 5 weeks until her milk tasted good enough to drink. I also copper bolused her as I had read that a lack of copper could cause the "off" flavor. Its great now!

10. Rockymeadowsfarm

Sep 26, 2013
    I've been putting minerals on their feed, just bought a new goat mineral block to put in also. My one doe did have a single, maybe it will just take a bit longer...feeling hopeful! thanks everyone!

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Loose mineral out free choice is best..they will eat all they need when they need it..blocks are hard on their tongue and has too much salt..Copper is a good idea as well as Vit. B complex...a bit of time and perhaps a handful of pine needles to clean the milk up : )

we use an ice chest filled with ice water..we milk, strain and put the milk in quart size mason jars and sit it in the ice bath right in the barn... This will cool your milk faster than frig or freezer...the milk will taste so much better..

12. Rockymeadowsfarm

Sep 26, 2013
    and my single is only nursing off one side....that may be the culprit. I was originally putting their milk together. I kept it separate this morning, so I could see if indeed it was coming from the single kid's mother.

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Milk your doe with the single kid twice a day.