The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8-9 year old paint that was given to me as part of my property purchase 2 years ago. He's a sweetheart, but I have problems with his behavior (seems to be just me). He does well with others, but I've nearly been kicked in the head twice, had my foot stomped, and have problems with ground manners when I handle him. My husband distrusts him since he saw those hooves flying by my face and Chief knows it.

We had trespassers harassing my horses and since then, his behavior went from big cuddle bug to big safety hazard. We decided that it would be best to find a home for him. I tried finding a home through friends and word of mouth because we wanted a good home that could work through his problems, but the homes all fell through. They had pick up dates scheduled and just didn't show.

So, I posted him online for sale. I asked $300 for him to keep him out of the meat market in our area and to avoid the ones who would see a beautiful, ridable, "free" horse and not read the part about his behavioral issues. Our market in the area is extremely bad. However, I was more than willing to drop the price to the right home.

I had a couple of nibbles, one really good-sounding home that just didn't send the promised deposit and one that raised red-flags. He wanted to take him on Tuesday and have him riding by Friday and put him through 10 straight hours of training right when he got him. Needless to say, I didn't sell him to that guy.

I returned one call but the guy already bought a horse in the time I wasted with the woman who never sent the deposit. We started talking and the more we talked, the more I was kicking myself in the butt for not calling him first. He would have been the perfect home for him.

Well, the next day, he called and said he couldn't get Chief out of his mind and he really wanted the challenge and the chance to give him the second chance he deserves. He offered $100 and I accepted.

He picks him up Tuesday. I'm so happy for Chief, but it is bitter sweet because I feel guilty for rehoming him. I do know it'll be better for us and him overall though. The guy set up his 1 acre backyard to put Chief in so he can work with him daily before he moves him to his pasture with his other horses. He even texted asking what size halter he wears.

Excuse the dirt. When we have rain, my horses get extremely muddy.

So I'll be saying goodbye to the big boy on Tuesday. The guy promises to send lots of pictures and he's been pretty good so far about keeping in touch!

·
Registered
600 Posts
He's so pretty! I'm glad you found a home for him. We had bought a gelding a couple years back that acted like a stallion, and was green broke, so he obviously came with a lot of behavioral problems. Sad part is that he was supposed to be my horse. I wasn't even allowed near him, and I only managed to ride him once! My parents bought him because they thought they were getting a 'deal'...He was $1500 plus a month of free, super expensive boarding, and a month free of training. Yeah, well when that month was up, and the boarding and training added up to about 500$ a month(not much of a deal now huh? the original owner even knew about his behavior problems, and didn't ever tell us.), my dad moved him and eventually sold him. Managed to find a really nice guy who wanted a challenge horse, so it worked out :) He called months later and thanked us for selling him, he said he was exactly what he was looking for.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Congrats on finding your horse a home! It's always hard to watch them go, but it helps to know their going to a good home! Good luck to the both of you! He is very pretty

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's so pretty! I'm glad you found a home for him. We had bought a gelding a couple years back that acted like a stallion, and was green broke, so he obviously came with a lot of behavioral problems. Sad part is that he was supposed to be my horse. I wasn't even allowed near him, and I only managed to ride him once! My parents bought him because they thought they were getting a 'deal'...He was $1500 plus a month of free, super expensive boarding, and a month free of training. Yeah, well when that month was up, and the boarding and training added up to about 500$ a month(not much of a deal now huh? the original owner even knew about his behavior problems, and didn't ever tell us.), my dad moved him and eventually sold him. Managed to find a really nice guy who wanted a challenge horse, so it worked out :) He called months later and thanked us for selling him, he said he was exactly what he was looking for.
I'm glad your horse's new home worked out and sorry you had problems with the seller not disclosing everything! I knew I'd have trouble selling him once the problems came out but I couldn't lie. I didn't want him or his handler to get hurt because I didn't tell the new owner everything.

I just got a text from the buyer just touching base to make sure everything's still a go for the sale tomorrow. They're leaving at 11:30 and will be in my town around 2:30 to meet with me so I can lead them to the ranch. (It's hard to find if you're not familiar with our area.)

I'm sad and happy at the same time. It'll be a good change for both of us. I also have my colt spoken for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He went to his new home today. I'll admit, I cried like a big baby, and am still crying a bit. Darn pregnancy hormones.

He's going to an awesome home. He and I will both be better off. I just can't help but feel guilty for selling him.

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
Awe..he is a handsome guy...and you did him a great service...when we cant give them what they need we must find some one who can..and you did just that..congrats and following your heart in this..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts