Blanket for doe

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Harley4, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Harley4

Harley4 New Member

Apr 10, 2020
    United states
    I'm in FFA this year and I'm raising a Boer goat doe. As it's getting colder and I have shows coming up, I've been looking for a blanket for her. My ag teacher doesn't allow the spandex tubes. She will have a heat lamp in her pen when it gets really cold so I dont know how much she would need the blanket for at home. I have no past experience with livestock other than horses and rabbits. I need to have a blanket on her when she's in the trailer on the way to shows. I bought a blanket before her first show but she peed on it. I'm not sure if there are any other types of blankets I could use that she won't pee on. I looked online but I didn't find anything that would work. What do most people with does use?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Why can you not use the tubes while in transport? I think jeffers or valley vet has a specific coat type blanket that should stay dry. Iirc they only cover the top of the body. What about just getting a human sweater and cutting it to fit her well? I have done this with a doe that was cold after anesthesia. It was a ribbed sweater so it snugged against her. Get a smaller size that you think you will need so it stays on good.

Moers kiko boars and ksalvagno like this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have use dog coats - the type that wrap around the belly and chest with velcro with great success for elderly goats, etc. Cheap and easy to order - I use Jeffers.

toth boer goats likes this.