Blaze:The Beefy Boer

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by goatnutty, Mar 2, 2008.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
  2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Love the name. He looks nice, I would really like to see him set-up. How old his he? I would guess 3 to 4 months. Did you end up moving him or is everyone getting along now. Shelly

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sara, he is so cute. How old is he? Is he a buck or a wether or for market?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He was born in late Dec. so he's just 2 months old.He's a weather for 4-H that will be in the auction after the show.(I'm already attached :cry: )His name was my grandma's idea.LOL

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    He certainly has a substantial rear end but to really know his quality, you need to be able to see how wide he is both front and rear- also it'a hard to see how long his back is in the picture.
    Try not to get too attached- for one thing he's going to be a very large boy.

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Etr,I'm trying very hard not to get to attached.His parents were the county next to us grand champions.I'll try to get better pics but he doesn't enjoy being set up yet.

7. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Start setting him up a couple of time for a couple of minute a day now and make sure when you put him away it's after he was behaving not fight you. If you put him up because he fighting you he will aways fight and misbehave because he thinks he you will leave him alone. Boer can be really hard head. My youngest DD market wether last year was a sweety but hate to walk or be set-up. So we used animal cracker for good behaver. He would get a animal cracker for staying set up until she let him relax or when he walked so far with fighting. Is time when on the crackers where cut back till he just got one at the end of practice. Shelly

PS.
    You probable know all that. Just the mother/4-h leader coming out in me :lol:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks Shelly.He already does better than the pygmys that I have have had for 2-3 years.I'm still not satisfied but I know I have to work with him know cause he's gonna be a BIG boy.

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    He looks like a nice boy. Like others have said...we need front and rear pics of him to see his width.

Boers are very stubborn. At our county fair...just about everyone who has Boers has at least one that doesn't walk. Some are okay, but usually if a goat is not walking it is either a Boer....or a baby dairy or Pygmy. :wink:

How I don't get attached is I tell myself that they are going for meat. And when the wether wants attention like the others I just consider him a "pest" and pet on the others and try to ignore him. Sounds a little mean, but it has worked for me! I took my first market goat in 2003...and I balled and balled. Didn't do when the next year because I didn't think I could do it again. Decided to do one in 2005 and ignored him and didn't get attached and I didn't miss him. And I have done market goats ever since without getting attached and missing them.

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Jaque,I wish I could do that as easily as it sounds but I can't