Bleach pregnancy test ... inconclusive results! help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Barnes19, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Barnes19

Barnes19 Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Zealand
    Has anyone got any experience in this test ... ??? Please any info or ideas???

I'm currently going batty over virtually all my goats wondering whether they are pregnant. Some I hope are, some I hope are not.

I've tried the bleach test before, with negative results, on goats that turned out not to be pregnant.

Today in an attempt to establish a positive result, I did it on the one and only goat I do know for absolute certain is pregnant.

The result was very hard to interpret, no froth, not even really anything I'd call fizz, just a development of a few very tiny pinprick size bubbles.

Now on researching, I find lots of people saying to use 1 cup bleach to 2 cc urine. But on rechecking I also found some saying to use a capful of bleach and a 'small container' of urine. I wonder whether a higher urine ratio is called for?

I've been using 1/4 cup bleach to 1/2 cc urine (being hard up for bleach I don't want to waste it).

Has anyone got any experience in this test ... ??? Please any info or ideas???

I've got 2 goats I need to know are pregnant, because if not I've got a serious problem, sterile goats and no milking goats this year,
    and 2 who I need to know are not pregnant, because 1 is recovering from an injury and the other is her 5 month old kid ... Yes the electric fence unit has been repaired.

2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I've found the bleach test to be inaccurate...blood testing would be much more accurate and its not that expensive, since you NEED to know :) .

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I tried the bleach test on two does that I knew to be pregnant and one not..... I got the same results on the pregnant ones as the non-pregnant one.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    take a few pooch pics and post them here..maybe we can help.. you want it with tail naturally up..a front on shot of the vulva and one from the side...

one thing I find to be very accurate is if the vulva is tip up or down...if it points upward..goat is open...if it folds down..goat is bred...

blood test are the most accurate form of detecting bred or not..: )

5. Barnes19

Barnes19 Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Zealand
    I can't do the blood test ...I'm not in the US. The only normal test I can get (in theory) is ultra sound which I simply cannot afford.

I tried the bleach again yesterday, with 50/50 mix, no interesting result on the goat I know is pregnant, one unknown came up with a thick greenish-brown mix!!(??:shrug:?)

I'll take some pooch pics when I get back home ... but I think it may be equally inconclusive.

What I have is a 2yo maiden doe, who didn't breed last year (mineral issues) who cycled once this year, was bred, and didn't cycle back. 3 weeks later she grew a belly, which was hopeful, but she should now be 8 weeks along and I see no change in her pooch from normal so thats really confusing.

I have a 4yo doe I recently purchased in late lactation, who is now dried off, she coul be pregnant before or after I got her, I see no real signs, but she hasn't cycled, and I have to say she has this amzing low belly capacity that could hide anything. Her pooch is different, a certain shiny bit has disappeared, but not in a 'pregnant' way so I don't know what to think.

Leia has just recovered from a broken leg she sustained 4 months ago, she's looking good but I'd intended her to have a year off, well her and her kid both came on heat the day the electric fence unit died and Stinky got in with them.

Neither cycled back so I gave them a stiff brew of pennyroyal which ahs always been good on the odd occasion I've needed it for similar animals before ... but they should have cycled back a week after administration and didn't so now I'm in a bit of bother about them both.

The problem there is since she kidded Leia's pooch never stopped pointing down, and little Melli was born with a puffy little pooch also pointing firmly down thats never changed. Now what do you do with that??!

6. Barnes19

Barnes19 Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've been all over the net trying to find out what they use to test for pregnancy, so I can get it and do it myself, either the protein they check for in the blood test or the color change stuff they use to test for estrone sulphate in urine, but I can't seem to find the name of the chemical as yet.

I found a basic description of one they sed to use to check estrone in humans ... a enzyme thing, benzene and sulphuric acid mix, and funnily enough a test kit for nitrate in fish tanks that I picked up today (for aquaponics) actually seems to have an active ingredient that sounds like the right thing there ... and I very much am tempted to try it!

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    let us know how it goes lol