bleach

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 19, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi,
    I have a show on saturday, and need to know how to get the knee stains off, i bathed them yesterday and they still stuck, could i use bleach to remove the stains? or is that risky for the animals health?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think that bleach would be too harsh to use on them. Have you tried baking soda with vinegar or peroxide?

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    no i havent , does it work well?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Idk, I use baking soda to brush my teeth and it makes them white :D Seems to me that I had found a recipe for a whitener that had baking soda in it so mixing that with vinegar would 'oxidize'(thats not the right word I don't think) it and help it clean better. Its worth a shot.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    don't use bleach ever!! it burns their skin and destroys the hair. i say a baking soda and water paste would help and if it doesn't get the stain completlu out you can just baby powder it before the show

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Get a whiting shampoo for dogs or horses if you can find it. Or mix your shampoo with baking soda to make a paste scrub in and let set for a few mins. Laundry bluing will help too. Mix it with water it should be a light blue pour on and let set for 5 to 10 mins. Shelly

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Back when GW was a live many of the members were advocates for using Shout to get stains off their goats. You leave it on for a about 5 minutes and then rinse it off. I tried it and it didn't irritate my goat's skin or anything.

That said, knee stains are near impossible to get out. Most judges don't mind them but you can always use baby powder or chalk to cover them up.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Off subject but is Rusty Repp judging your show? I talked to him yesterday and he is making a trip to Alaska to do some judging up there, he is replacing Keith because he is in the hostpital.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just wondering if you knew how he is doing. He was at the show I was at on saturday and thankfully we talked him into going to the hospital.

-Ashley

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Was that you who noticed him slurring? As far as I know he is still in intensive care.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'm not sure who is judging, we are having a whole bunch of jusges come up for the dairies, but i'm not sure about the open or 4-h shows.

12. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    when my boys showed their working steers (holstiens, lots of white) we used tide with bleach on their knees, lathered them up good left it on for like 5 minutes rinsed, at first we thought that didnt work but once it dries it looked realy nice, we have also used a diluted bleach solution in a spray bottle while at the fair, that never hurt the steers or cause them to loose any hair

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Isn't a steers hide much thicker than a goats and therefore less sensitive? I believe the bleach in tide w/bleach is peroxide. Peroxide removes many stains when mixed with baking soda but vinegar might make it foam. I know it did when I was in grade school making volcanoes.
    Andi

14. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I was wondering how he was too...
    I think it was a bit of everyone noticing and talking him into it. He didnt look well at the first class and he went downhill pretty fast.
    There was a nurse at the show and she was the one who really got serious with him. Joanne drove him there.

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I just do the best I can with a good bluing shampoo...sometimes it just won't come off...I don't think they make too big a deal about it.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Something we sue is Cowboy Magic. It works wonders for whitening. That is what it is made for. It can be bought by the horse stuff.