The Goat Spot Forum banner

Bleeding after intermammary treatment

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
We had to treat our nanny for mastitis after kidding tonight. When we injected into her teat she cried a lot and then started kicking at her bag. Now an hour later it is bleeding from the teat. Anyone else have this happen after treatment?
I will call the vet in the morning to ask but won't sleep worrying about it so thought I would ask.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Was there a blockage in the teat? How do you know she has mastitis? (Just wondered).

Milk her out real well so no scabbing forms.
No blockage that I saw.
We tested her before she dried up last kidding and she came back with that side solid and no milk coming out at all.
She really doesn't want to have it touched now and I feel terrible for her.

#4 ·
Put hot cloths on her, massage that side and milk out what you can as often as possible. We give Excenal (vet prescription) as an injectable for mastitis and whatever is prescribed as a teat infusion, depending on what strain of mastitis the doe has.

When you do a teat infusion, massage the medication up into the udder. You may have to get a vet involved. Good luck.

#5 ·
The teat was injured by the infusion tip.
You have to be as gentle as possible and not force it or you can damage her and it will bleed. Putting a little infusion stuff around the tip helps to lubricate it.

You don't always have to insert the tip all the way in, just put it up to the opening (orifice), indenting the tip inward at the teat orifice opening, if it slips in that is OK too, be gentle, then gently stretch the teat, so it is straight and start to push the plunger slowly, if you have it lined up right, you will hear it going up the teat. Keep plunging until it is in there. Hopefully the doe won't move.
If you do not have it in proper position it will spew out. Stop immediately and quickly pull back on the syringe to stop the stuff from coming out. Re-line up the tip again and keep at it until you get it to go in.

I use a hot water bottle for warm compresses, it keeps in heat better.
Don't go too hot.
Massage is good too.

#10 ·
Why did he say not to breed her again? I understand that side not producing milk again, but doesn't it depend on what you want out of her if you breed her again? My understanding is that the remaining side will produce more milk if one side becomes inactive. If you are OK with getting a little less milk I think she should be fine to breed again. Especially if you want kids from her I would breed her again. If your vet has some reason I am not thinking about I would be glad to hear it. Also, I would like to hear opinions of experienced goat owners on here. Good luck!

#11 ·
@Davon I was wondering that same thing. I'm sorry for the lost quarter, and maybe there is something else wrong that is being conflated with the lost quarter? Or perhaps the vet was assuming that a lost quarter means a done deal because it is "just a goat" and there are other goats? Sometimes vets think like that, I'm not saying this one does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.