The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a my doe that is due to kid August 1 is bleeding a small amount. she was originally bred to kid March 1 but came up open, then rebred for kidding August 1. Just a very small amount but wondering if she is aborting. Anything I can do? She otherwise looks and acts normal. She would be a second freshener Nubian

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
I would keep an eye on her. If she is bleeding, then she is probably aborting. Nothing you can do to stop an abortion. Are you sure it is blood?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am sure it is blood- wiped it on the back of my hand and blood for sure :( . what could be causing this? We are not sure if she had an early abortion last time or if she never settled...

·
Super Moderator
59,787 Posts
When it comes to breeding and pregnancy, it can be so many things. It is hard to say. You can start with things like copper deficiency and how healthy she is.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Aw I'm sorry :( This is always the sucky part of breeding goats. Our Boer doe was the same, but she aborted at 4 weeks. Just a bit of blood, and she acted a little depressed for a few days. Don't want to jump in here too far, but can bad previous kiddings cause abortions?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it looks like she did indeed abort again. Before I seen the blood she had a small but firm looking udder (not like she needed milked but you could tell it was developing)- now it is flat looking. I never seen a fetus or anything else that would indicate that she slipped her kids but there are remarkable changes in her udder in the last 3 days and also her vulva looks shorter again. This is the second time she has aborted since October- I was told the first time it was probably copper deficiency but I have since bolused her and they have a high quality goat mineral free choice. He coat is looking rough again

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
It can also be selenium deficiency, disease, past injures or cysts. I'd look into it and make sure. Usually a cystic doe wont breed back but it is possible.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got her as a first freshener- they said nothing of injuries or a tough kidding. In fact I was told her twin had fantastic twin does this year. What diseases could it be? Selenium deficiency?? what can I do for that? Would they all have that or could it just be a single one from the herd?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Selenium deficiency is usually caused by inadequate selenium in the diet... be it low selenium in the ground, feed or hay. You can give BoSe shots to boost selenium and even put a selenium block out for them. They have them for cattle at most TSC stores. Copper deficiency is also a possibility. They would have dull coats and fish tail. Dull coat can also be from worm load though

There are so many abortion diseases. Do a search on abortion disease in goats and you can compare symptoms.

Where does she rank in the herd? It can also be caused by trauma

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is my second in command- there are only 6 does and she is the biggest and has been here the longest. I thought I read somewhere that selenium blocked copper absorption?? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think that's iron that compromises absorption of copper. I'd look into deficiencies and diseases that could cause abortion and go from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts