The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pygmy/Nigerian dwarf doe is bleeding from her hind end for 2 days now. She's pregnant and about 4 months along. She had clear mucus discharge for 2 days but now it's bloody discharge. She's acting totally normal. Eating, drinking fine. No blood in urine, not constipated. Is she aborting? Will she have her baby too early for it to survive? First time owning goats and need any advice y'all have for me.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
It sounds to me like she has already aborted or in the process of it :( if she is no the babies will not survive. They will be so very tiny. A 4 month fetus of a boer could fit in my hand so a Nigerian would be even half that size. I am so very sorry :(
Keep a eye on her over the next few days and make sure she is still acting ok and eating and drinking fine.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
No I don’t think she would have ate them. Do you have dogs that can get in the pen or even cats? They might have taken off with them.
How much blood are we talking about? But if you are really not convinced she aborted, see if a vet can ultrasound her for you. Or try a ISO ad for someone that has a ultrasound machine and has done goats before. You can also call a lab and see how long after one possibly aborts that you can draw blood and get accurate results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a drop coming out of her every time I look. When she lays down, there's no blood on the ground. And I haven't found any blood anywhere in their pen. It's almost like mucus but red blood. I might just look up a vet that can come out. I'm a first time goat owner. This girl (named baby) was already bred when I got her. The people didn't tell me until my husband brought her home and she had a belly so I asked them. She's only 8 months old, poor thing. So I feel like she can't be more than 4 months along otherwise I'd assume she was going to kid soon. I guess my biggest worry is what other things could cause this? Could she be sick? Should I separate her from the others?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, our dogs don't have access to the goat pen. And it's not that I'm convinced she didn't abort, because I know that's the most likely situation here. I'm just worried is all. I didn't even know that it was such a common thing until I started doing research. Everything on Google says she either aborted or will kid soon. But it's too early for her to be in labor. I just don't want to do anything wrong. Or not worry enough that it costs her life.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
So very complicated! But you are in the right area to get them figured out.
Any way next time you see it you can post a picture? Is it a bright red or more of a dark brown color?
If she is that young and possibly that far along it might not hurt to get a vet to look at her. If anything it will start a relationship with a vet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts