Bleeding goats legs...help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by fiberfinns, Mar 23, 2011.

1. fiberfinns

fiberfinns New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Canada
    Hi one of our 1 year old Angora goat girls has some terrible itchy bleeding legs. All 4 legs are affected, mostly on the lower leg. They are bleeding and scabby with white flakey skin that extends down to the hoof. Only 1 goat of 4 in that paddock is affected. We sheared off as much of the hair from the legs as we could and tried to clean it up, also put some hibitane on it to see if it would promote healing. Any ideas what this could be caused by? Her feet look to be in good condition (no foot rot) and we keep them well trimmed, tho where we live it has been a wet winter with lots of rain and mud.

thanks!!

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sounds like some kind of mites or mange. If you can get Ivermectin Pour on for cattle I would clean the area first, then sqirt the pour on the affected area, Repeat every 21 days until it clears up.
    This is what I have to do if goats get scabby lower legs or in their heels.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Yup, mites.
    permectrin II works well, as well as treating internally with ivomec plus

4. hummingbeefarm

hummingbeefarm New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice, this little goat had a terrible lice infestation this spring and the Ivermectin pour-on for cattle was AMAZING. I will continue to shear off her leg hair as I am able and then squirt it on.

One question tho, will it make a difference that the skin is broken and bleeding?

Thanks!

5. fiberfinns

fiberfinns New Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Canada
    I had just finished (about 3 weeks ago) doing 2 cycles of an Ivomec Pour on to treat a sucking lice problem on her. Do you think the vomec would have killed the mites, or are these new beasties and I shold use another dose?

thanks

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    its going to sting. repeat topical in 21 days

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    If I may insert a question here..... Are any of these "bug away" products safe for kids and does in milk?

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Don't know if anyone mentioned but the Ivomec has to be injected to work properly against mites and lice. I would also use Sevin dust or some other type of pour on for immediate relief and in the bedding.