The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 week old billy has a bleeding umbilical cord. (he's the little guy in my avatar) The mama took him into the woods this morning and it must have snagged on something and is dripping blood. I sprayed it and put a dressing on, but when he peeded the dressing was in the way. I left it on anyway for a couple of hours. I took it off and it wasn't dripping anymore, but still had a little blood showing. Any suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
Can it be tied above the bleeding part? Or is it at the belly line?

Keep him in a clean area and away from anything he can rub on.

If it isn't bleeding anymore, it should be OK, if kept in a very clean and fly free area for a while.
Watch for naval infections.

Put blue spray on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can it be tied above the bleeding part? Or is it at the belly line?

Keep him in a clean area and away from anything he can rub on.

If it isn't bleeding anymore, it should be OK, if kept in a very clean and fly free area for a while.
Watch for naval infections.

Put blue spray on it.
I think it was bleeding at the belly line, not sure though. I will look closer tomorrow. And yes, I will keep it sprayed. Thank you

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You need to be vigilant. If there is nothing left to tie off, you need to keep it clear of infection. A blood stop and or iodine or blue coat. It is very easy for an infection to set in there and can cause a hernia.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I agree..keep it very clean and dry and sprayed...I wouldnt let mom take him off any where until its healed..a concern will be Joint Ill...Keep watch for leg swelling, infected belly button area..fever...not eating..first sign something is wrong begin treatment..the faster treatment begins the better the outcome
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/musculoskeletal_system/lameness_in_goats/joint-ill_in_goats.html

Recommended treatment is Baytril and banamine ..... Nuflor also works well...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to be vigilant. If there is nothing left to tie off, you need to keep it clear of infection. A blood stop and or iodine or blue coat. It is very easy for an infection to set in there and can cause a hernia.
It might very well be a hernia....he has about an half inch hanging that did not dry up. I'm keeping triodine on him. He is eating well and very active. No swelling.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree..keep it very clean and dry and sprayed...I wouldnt let mom take him off any where until its healed..a concern will be Joint Ill...Keep watch for leg swelling, infected belly button area..fever...not eating..first sign something is wrong begin treatment..the faster treatment begins the better the outcome
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/musculoskeletal_system/lameness_in_goats/joint-ill_in_goats.html

Recommended treatment is Baytril and banamine ..... Nuflor also works well...
Yes, I'm keeping her and her babies in a smaller grassy area until their cord completely fall off and have time to heal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts