Bleeding weeks after giving birth

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by boyd59, Mar 13, 2013.

1. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I have a goat who gave birth to twin bucklings on 2-22-13 (3 weeks ago). She delivered with no problems and the babies are healthy and doing terrific! She bled for about 2-3 days and stopped. She is eating good nursing good but today I noticed she looked kind of bloody. We bought 2 new goats from an auction barn on 3-1-2013 (2 weeks ago). About 2 days after we got them home we noticed that one of them was bleeding rather heavily and had some diarrhea. We gave her some probiotics and after a few days she was all cleared up. We figured she was probably aborting. She seems to be fine now. But my question is does anybody know what could cause this? I just hope its not some kind of disease making its way through our herd.

2. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    This is the goat that gave birth 3 weeks ago. This is a picture from today.

Attached Files:

3. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Seeing your name, you're not from Wisconsin are you by chance?

I have seen blood in cattle, and goats up to a month later. Some just take more time. Possibly internal tears or could be the uterus cleaning itself out.

twilightGG likes this.
  4. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Nope.... From Tennessee :)
    And I hope that's all it is.....

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Probably still just cleanup.

6. Jewls819

Jewls819 New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Good to know. My girl had her twins 10days ago. She bled for 2-3days and stopped. Last night she was bleeding a little again. She seems fine otherwise but I was concerned too.

7. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah I think bleeding off and on for a few weeks is normal. I THINK. This doe did and she is fine. I'm sure as long as her temp is fine and she doesn't stink she is probably fine.

8. Jewls819

Jewls819 New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    I just thought I would share this....
    Without realizing what today is my son called me a few minutes ago. Also realize I am a new goat ower too. He said ....

Hey mom! Priscilla had another baby, Maybe that is why she started bleeding again.(She birthed on the First Day of Spring)
    I said REALLY are you serious? Is the baby alive? This is impossible.
    He said....
    Yes the baby is alive and both seem fine....ok by this point I am in shock ready to head to the house. I have one amazing goat.
    THen he said April Fools..lol...yeah thats my son.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Boyd your doe is just fine. In fact real fine. But she will probably give you a few globs now & then for another week or two or so.

10. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you nancy!! :)

11. twilightGG

twilightGG New Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Overton,NV
    my goat did the same she gave birth 7 days ago and she is giving me globs every so often and I'm not that worried about it but she seems like she is missing something in her diet cause she just really isn't interested in finishing her food but REALLY wants to eat the chickens food like she used to beg for it but now she is being all the time and trying to push the door open

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is a super old thread.

Your doe will clean out for 2 weeks or so.

If the discharge doesn't stink, she is OK, even with clumps of blood.
    If she were bleeding out, she would be dead already. ;)

Do you have out free choice loose salt and minerals for her? With copper, selenium etc?

Don't allow her to eat chicken food, it will kill her.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  13. twilightGG

twilightGG New Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Overton,NV
    ok thanks so much, I'm new to this! HOLY COW ya just looked at the date to the last thing on 2007! WHOOPS! i thought it was just october 5

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem, answered your question quickly, so all is good. ;)