Blessing's Udder

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I have had Blessing up for sale for $250 for a while and finally pulled her from her babies last night to see her udder. This is her udder at just 12 hours...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you think? I've now started to reconsider selling her. I really need to downsize though. Its so hard letting them go!!!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She has a really nice udder, I can see why you would want to keep her! Nice sized milkable teats and a really strong fore attachment, high in the rear and has a good capacity( took me awhile to learn that stuff, with everyones help here of course!)

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think her capacity is good as well as her udder being in 3rds but her medial seems to need more definition. But what do I know :shrug: Still trying to learn myself but that is what I noticed.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She could be higher and wider in the rear I think, but she has a much stronger fore than most of my does tend to have. Pot's has a good fore too. She could use a more defined medial ligament true. I just may have to let her go. My herd is in the 20s right now and I'd really like to get it about 20 or less if I could. I know that's going to be nearly impossible.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'd like to see better attachments in the rear and a better medial. i'd also love to see her teats point in more. (the way they point right now is out) i really admire the capacity and she does have the 1/3 divisions down well..

sounds like you have some hard choices..

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    oh i forgot.. i like blessings udder more than sara's from what i can see in the pictures

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thanks! I appreciate your opinion, you've said just basically all of what I've been thinking. I've considered selling Sarah as well to reduce numbers since I'm keeping a daughter. She's my daughter's pet though so I'd have to convince her first. Haha

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think she has nice capacity, I would like to see her teats placed more towards the center of the halves, more strength of medial and a tighter rear attatchemts and height to the rear. Her fore udder is nice, but right now it is all about the rear udder in the ring.

I know what you mean about tough decisions, I want to get my herd down to 20 total, I am really close to that goal too!! Which is exciting.

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'd just like to get to 20 does! Ha!!! I've managed to come to terms with 7 bucks. :ROFL: I'm sure that'll change come fall though, I'll be ready for some to go.

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh I won't be down to 20 long, next spring I plan on keeping tons of kids lol. Mainly I want my numbers low for the move.

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh you're moving? Well we haven't done the fencing we have been planning for ages yet and I can't maintain a herd larger than what I have. Truly I need it a bit smaller. We need to build onto the barn yet, build my milking parlor and fix-up the buck barn and that's hard to do with so many and it would be easier with some sales. So that's the plan.

12. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yep, to Iowa. Sometime this year, that is part of the reason I didn't breed many for fall kiddings. It is WAY colder up there lol.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well I hope your move goes very smoothly. Good luck with your fall kiddings! I didn't intentionally not breed many for fall, no one wants bred apparently. I have Civil in August and Barbie in November and thats it.