The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nigerian dwarf doeling 4 months old. I suspect heat stroke right after birth. (her twin is doing fine). Vet confirms cataracts, and it appears she can maybe see differences in light, but thats about it.

She eats well and drinks well, and is weaned off of milk.
However, she refuses to drink from a bowl.

I'd welcome any ideas to train her to drink from a bowl, and any other tips that anyone who has raised a blind goat from a baby may have.

She does follow my voice or snapping fingers, and understands to slow down when I say "careful"

When she drinks from a bottle, as soon as it is empty she stops.

She is somewhat strong-willed (comes by it honestly, her grandmother is the alpha female)
I am getting ready to socialize her with a couple friendly little wethers, hoping they will become good companions, but am keeping her inside most of the time due to having to give her water in a bottle.

She doesn't lick the salt, so am going to get the ground minerals for her.

I

Attachments

8,972 Posts
Water in a bottle can cause serious problems. It's called water intoxication. But, maybe since that is what she is used to, it won't cause trouble! Regardless, can you transition her to a bowl with maybe warm water? Or Electralytes if she likes that? Hopefully someone can give better help.

Are you putting a little bell on her wether buddy so she can find him? That is great you are willing to take the time with her.

· Premium Member
8,384 Posts
It's great you're caring for the adorable little doeling. What a cutie! I think a bell on her buddy is a great idea.
If you believe she can see shadows maybe a water bucket is too deep and shadows when she puts her head scare her, maybe try a shallow pan that's wide and about only about 4 inches deep so she still has some light to see what's she's drinking drink from.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water in a bottle can cause serious problems. It's called water intoxication. But, maybe since that is what she is used to, it won't cause trouble! Regardless, can you transition her to a bowl with maybe warm water? Or Electralytes if she likes that? Hopefully someone can give better help.

Are you putting a little bell on her wether buddy so she can find him? That is great you are willing to take the time with her.
Thank-you - I was thinking we might be giving too much water, so cutting back and really trying to get her to figure out the bowl.
I like the idea of a bell on the companion. Will definitely do that!

· Administrator
96,026 Posts
Have a place that she knows and always have access to water in a certain spot. The blind learn where things are, if kept that way.

Her other senses will kick in, goats are suppose to have a good sense of smell.
Having a goat buddy around her age helps to, she will learn from that goat.

Put a grain bucket next to her water bucket. Make it easy access so she can drink and eat some grain.
Gently dip her mouth in the water bucket. Or cup your hand with water in it and dab her mouth with it,
right in front of the water bucket.
You can put a little molasses in the water, so she can smell it, until she gets use to where her water is.

Bless you for taking care of her, she is adorable. :inlove:

· Registered
4,098 Posts
What an irresitible cutie!! :) I am wondering, if perhaps you could try to make her suck your finger - or perhaps a loose nipple - and slowly sink it to the water level, where you can keep control that she does not get water in her nostrils, which of course must be frightening for her. I think this is how calves are made to find the milk in the unnatural direction = downwards.
putting a little bell on her buddy
seems to be a good idea. A small one, that does not interfere with other sounds, like steps and breath.

Is she eating grass, leaves, hay and treats like a good goat? Maybe you can mix some favourite treat with more and more water, if nothing else helps ... *scratching my head for ideas*

And, again, thanks for sharing your efforts with this very nice-looking doeling!

· Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
7,462 Posts
Is she having any trouble finding the bowl? Because if she can see contrast you could put something contrast looking on the rim of the bowl or bucket like black and white strips of duct tape. She would learn to see that as where she drinks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.