The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2 month old doelings and she appears to be totally blind in 1 eye and I'm really not sure if she has full vision in the other 1. I've had her for a month and she has not gained any weight since Ive had her. She eats very well and I have wormed her, give bose, vit b, and treated both eyes just to be safe. She gets lost easy and I've read that you can do a budy system with a goat and a bell. Please, any and all suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Have you done a fecal to rule out parasites as reason for no weight gain? Keeping her and a buddy in a smaller area would be ideal. Let them bond deeply before setting them loose with the herd. Most times they will stick together, eat together and sleep together. I have sisters here that if one gets off too far the other cries for her. A bell can help the blind one hear where the other is at but what you hope for is the buddy watches out for the blind one.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
8,492 Posts
( posting at the same time as Happybleats!) Get a fecal test to rule out Coccidea. (the lack of weight gain) Have a vet determine if the vision can be saved. Inverted eyelids can really scratch the eye.
What are you feeding her? How much does she weigh? What have you treated the eyes with? Chlamydia from the dam can cause blindness, maybe ask
the vet (if you go that route) if a course of antibiotics might be prudent. (I don't like to use antibiotics often as it can lead to resistance, but sometimes they are
necessary). Sorry about all the questions, but they can help you figure out your next step.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is eating 18% feed I have made, I've treated her with la200 right in the eye 2x a day for several days and gave her a round of la200 for a week. She also gets free choise hay. I've wormed her with cydecton oral and weights 17 lbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts