The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of this year's batch of ducklings was the runt out of the 10 we had. Poor dear had a rough go of it before she was separated. We introduced her to the pack again when she was stronger but she just didn't seem "right".

We've separated her again. We think she's blind in one eye or both are compromised. She at least sees shadows but bumps into things A LOT and has since earned the name "Fluffy Wobbles".

I'm not sure what to do with her. She's getting too big for her little pen but I don't want to put her in with the other ducks.

The goats think she's interesting (probably because she's less noisy than the others and they like to stand on her cage). I'm not sure she's tough enough to hang out with them though. She's terribly lonely.

ideas?

·
Super Moderator
58,120 Posts
What about finding her a special home that would have the time and a nice place for a special needs duck along with one duck buddy?

·
Registered
471 Posts
We have a rooster that lost his eyes in a fight, and we keep him in a pen within the yard so that he can hear all of the other birds, but they can't hurt him. We also at one time had a bantam hen with him and it worked excellently at keeping him happy. He's such a sweet boy, loves to be petted and talked to.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Two things... I have a blind in one eye bantam chicken...she had a hard time at first but now she is ok and in with the big flock...maybe having her with a buddy she hatched with would be best.She can learn to follow the sound of the other.Then don't move anything around once she knows where it is.

Second suggestion from me is probably not an option since your daughter is attached, but if we have birds we think will need that much extra attention, we process them.We would have processed the above mentioned chicken but she is old and small so she'd be too tough!

Good luck with her :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts