The Goat Spot Forum banner

Blind Kid

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  JearDOE Ranch 
#1 ·
We had a Nanny that wouldn't dilate so we took her to the vet and they performed a C-Section. Mom is recovering exceptionally. The kid was tiny at 6.1 lbs. He was one of triplets and the only one that made it home from the vet.

The kid became a bottle baby. It has taken him days to be able to stand and another two before he could walk. I noticed his eves were hazy, and now it has become apparent he can make out silhouettes I think when the light is on, but he cannot see.

Does anyone know what kind of behavior to expect when the kid gets older? My husband thinks he will become withdrawn and depressed, but I I didn't think so. Neither one of us has any experience with a blind animal and are unsure what to expect and what to do.

#4 ·
Thanks. We are actually very fortunate. I've heard most goats do not survive C-sections. Unfortunately, after talking to some other vets down at K-State, they've let us know what to do to get a goat to dilate- to stimulate their vulva. A c-section shouldn't have been done in this case.

Don't get me wrong, our local vet is extremely good. Obviously very well educated in performing c-sections and is well versed and we trust him completely with our cattle. We're starting to understand goats isn't his strong point, and have been relying more on K-State for information and treatments.

#8 ·
Eye lashes aren't touching the eye at all? You could try putting a drop of LA-200 (antibiotic) on each eye (for 5 days), to see if possibly it helps to clear up the cloudiness.
It may do nothing. But, maybe it might help.

If he can see shadows and shapes, he should do ok. I wouldn't turn him out in a big field, but in familiar surroundings, he should be able to get around ok.

#9 ·
I'd definitely check the eyelashes, and I'd also pay attention to vitamins, like vitamin A.

I think you can make this work, but if you decide you can't, then that is completely up to you and I hope you feel fine with making the decisions you need to for your family circumstances.

Do you feel like sharing the ideas for stimulating dilation, to prevent unnecessary C-Sections?

#10 · (Edited)
Do you feel like sharing the ideas for stimulating dilation, to prevent unnecessary C-Sections?
Yes, the vets down at k-state said just to stimulate the Nanny's vulva with two lubed fingers. Just apply slight pressure to the rim from the inside in a circular motion. Continue applying pressure to the vulva and just inside the vagina wall very slowly trying to stretch the outer vulva for up to an hour. If that doesn't work, then you may look into doing a c-section.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't know. Maybe that's why my husband said no to showing. I didn't ask. We haven't sold but two for 4-H before. Our kids were born too late in the season for that last year. We sold them at auction.

Good news though...
At one week and 1 day old I noticed his eyes are clearing up. He explored today with his new found vision and even focused on me. Pictures aren't that great of his eyes, but I didn't want to use the flash this time. He's putting on the weight and coming along wonderfully. Though I am already over these midnight and 3 am feedings!! These pictures are only three days later than the last.
Dog breed Toy Wood Ear Liver
Dog breed Ear Wood Fawn Whiskers
Ear Liver Working animal Whiskers Terrestrial animal

#21 ·
I don't know. Maybe that's why my husband said no to showing. I didn't ask. We haven't sold but two for 4-H before. Our kids were born too late in the season for that last year. We sold them at auction.

Good news though...
At one week and 1 day old I noticed his eyes are clearing up. He explored today with his new found vision and even focused on me. Pictures aren't that great of his eyes, but I didn't want to use the flash this time. He's putting on the weight and coming along wonderfully. Though I am already over these midnight and 3 am feedings!! These pictures are only three days later than the last.
View attachment 147873 View attachment 147875 View attachment 147877
Oh what cute goat [emoji173]️ Happy he is doing well.

#23 ·
I never did administer any antibiotics or vitamins. His vision is now as if nothing was ever wrong. He still has trouble getting up, but he walks good. He's not jumping yet. It's seems that although he hits all his mile stones a quite a bit later than most (it took him three days before he was standing) he seems to reaching them all the same. I think given some time he'll be just like any other goat.

I'm thinking his issues stem from being premature. His mother wasn't due yet, but we think she went into early labor due to a stillborn. It had been dead for quite some time and I don't think her body could handle it anymore. Out of triplets, he's the only one to have survived.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.