Blind kits any advise??

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Victoria, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    My friend and I have been breeding meat rabbits for a year now. She had one of her Satin's kindle on the 2nd of December.
    Three of the kits' eyes did not open as the others did at two weeks or so.
    Yesterday they did open, and look cloudy. We are warm compressing them and putting trip antibiotic in them once a day. I also am making an herbal drop for them. I know there are a few rabbit breeders on here, so I am hoping for a bit of advise.
    Thanks so much!!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it may be too late.. I always make sure the eyes are open on my kits by 15 days at the latest becuase it can lead to cloudy eyes and / or blindness.. keep trying eye ointment

3. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to raise rabbits a few years ago and this problem can happen from time to time. I find it usually happens with winter litters the most when its cold and damp. When you see a couple aren't opening their eyes like the rest you should use warm water and gently open the eye for the kits. The warm water helps unstick the gunk keeping the eye shut. If left closed too long they can get eye infections that can lead to blindness. I would use a terrimycin eye ointment on them. If they are already blind they will probably always be blind, but if there is a chance they haven't lost vision yet deffinately use the ointment. You'll have to keep an eye on them though because they sometimes drain from the eye and it can cause the eye to seal shut again. check them daily and open the eye up again if it sealed shut again.

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Okie dokie!!
    Thanks so much!
    The eyes are all doing better now, but we'll watchem
    very close. I think it must be just from our wet windy
    winter we are havin..