The Goat Spot Forum banner

Blindness caused by parasites???

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
We bought 2 goats at the auction a few weeks ago. Both ended up with worms. Red had the worst case and with some advice from our local coop, got meds and shots and they are recovering. Both are eating and are clearly going to be ok.
My question is about Red. Her eyes became white and she was clearly blind. As she has begun to get better, she has recovered some of her sight, but she still bumps into things and i'm wondering if she will be partially impaired for life? her eyes have started to get a little pink around the outside, but are still mostly white. This is our first case of parasites and it's been a doozy. i had no idea how quickly it effected them and how harsh and serious the situation is.
Always learning.. and new to having goats... please let me know what others have experienced. My husband wants to get rid of her, but i still have hopes she will be able to see to forage.

#3 ·
it's possible she has an eye infection... there was a lot of oozing from her eyes and nose that has since dried up. but her eyes are still mostly white. i thought this was from the parasites :/ ?

I noticed a few days ago there was a sore spot on one of my doe's mouths... and now on my other doe and a kid too. i checked out some threads on here and seems we have a case of soremouth :( going around the herd and from what ive read, it will run it's course and all will be fine.

#5 ·
sounds like pink eye...look closely,,if there is no red raised bump area treat with La 200 as an eye drop..draw some up in syringe and remove the needle , drop into the eye 3-4 times daily keeping the eye area clean and dry as posible...IF YOU SEE A RED LUMP...do not use La 200 but use a triple antibotic cream instead, like neospordin...put in eye 3-4 times daily..again keeping eye area clean and dry as possible..DO NOT touch the eye bare handed...use gloves...wash hands after treatment
A shot of B complex daily while she heals is a good idea..4 cc per 100# sub Q
Keep her where she can get out of the sunlight, light will irritate her eye and burn..
This will heal, it takes a bit of time...keep at it..

Best wishes

#6 ·
sore mouth will run its course but you can treat it and keep control..again, use gloves when dealing with sore mouth...

Clean sores with a vinegar water mix and treat sores with "Tomorrow" mastisis treatment..do this a few times a day...you will see it heal faster then left alone...plus keep it from getting infected...

I also recommend B complex as a support during this time, daily

#8 ·
Yes both an be purchases at the feed store...: )

#12 ·
Thanx happybleats !! You also helped me when I found my newborn kid with hypothermia. Tuff is doing great. He smaller than his brother... but he's a sweet healthy baby!
So happy to hear he is doing well!!!

#13 ·
My herd of 3 does and 2 kids are passing around pink eye and soremouth. :'( by kid who was real sick as a baby now has both at the same time. I used a spray for pink eye on one doe and it worked well so I just started using it on my kid "Tuff" when I saw his eye start oozzing today. Also he gas a red spot on his eye lid. Happybleets mentioned this when talking about my doe.. but she did not go into detail. His sore mouth also looks a lot worse than the others did. I've cleaned it with peroxide but did not get the tomorrow cream last time I was at the feed store. I'm going to wash it with salt water in the morning. But just wondering if anyone has used neosporin on it or something else I may have around the house??? He was eating some thus afternoon, but clearly he's not feeling well. He did a lot of lying around but is not lethargic. I mixed an electrolyte I'll take to him in the morning... any help is appreciated. Also, how do ppl disinfect their stalls? I tried spraying bleach... there is just so much area to cover... and do I spray the dirt?? I'm working on getting the old bedding out...its taking a few days... my husband kept piling it on and was not letting the dirt dry after a rain, before adding new. I'm new at owning goats and these diseases are freaking me out a bit. I have 2 little boys and its hard to keep them away from the goats completely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Goat Forum mobile app

#14 · (Edited)
Im so sorry this has been a huge issue for you!! for the pink eye with ulcer...use Neospordin....Antibioitc in the ulcered eye can make it worse.. keep them out of sun light as this irritates the eye..
For those without an ulcer LA200 is recommended as a eye drop, but Tylan 200 or pen is helpful as well...basically Pink eye along with Sore mouth needs to run its course but treatment keeps them from infection and can help speed recovery. It can also be helpful to inject Antibiotics Sub Q ....It is not recommended to use LA 200 on kids who are still growing...it can interfier with bone and teeth growth...Use instead Tylan 200...for adults LA 200 is a good choice ( or better yet..Biomycin)

For sore mouth I use 50/50 Vinegar/water and wash the ares well...then treat with "Tomorrow"

B complex is a wonderful support vitamin when a goat is off....
Babies with severe sore mouth may not eat do to pain...Banamine will help ..

Best wishes

#16 ·
Your welcome! be sure to wear gloves when handling both pink eye and sore mouth : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.