Blister like bumps on chin... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by moonmilk_creamery, Apr 9, 2016.

1. moonmilk_creamery

moonmilk_creamery New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Hello.

I have had my 1 year old oberhasli doe since November and ever since then she has been slowly been getting some blister like things on her bottom lip and chin. I recently looked at it now and it looks like it is really getting worse. It looks like they are kind of joining together and forming a mass. Some are even scabbing up.

I don't have a lot of money for vet costs so I want to try and see what it is first before I get a vet to check it out. :tear: I am new at goats and i don't know what to do.:whatgoat: PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached are some pictures...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would treat as sore mouth. wear glives as it is contagious. Wash well..getting scabs cleaned up with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Dry well and apply Tomorrow mastitis treatment or nustock. clean a few times a day and reapply treatment. ...

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  4. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

Good ol NuStock. The wonder sulfur cream. Looks to be an Orf virus but that could turn into staph. However- I think Orf usually begins on the hairless areas of the mouth. Not much to do but treat for a secondary infection like staph so the NuStock will keep the germs controlled. It could be a mite issue.. and again.. NuStock will knock them out dead.

5. moonmilk_creamery

moonmilk_creamery New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Thanks for asking. I did some research on sore mouth and it looks like it is one of those things that you just have to wait out and it will go away shortly. I have not been able to get my hands on nustock so have been spraying iodine at least once a day. I think that will help keep it from getting infected and dry the scabs out...Shortly after the doe in the picture (Saphira) got it I noticed my other doe (Juniper) had similar symptoms on her chin as well. It seems like the scabs are going away now so I will keep you all updated. I will maybe see if I can order some Nustock online... Thanks for your advice!

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Today mastitis treatment can be put on it. Will still have to run its course but helps heal sores quicker.