The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have had my 1 year old oberhasli doe since November and ever since then she has been slowly been getting some blister like things on her bottom lip and chin. I recently looked at it now and it looks like it is really getting worse. It looks like they are kind of joining together and forming a mass. Some are even scabbing up.

I don't have a lot of money for vet costs so I want to try and see what it is first before I get a vet to check it out. :tear: I am new at goats and i don't know what to do.:whatgoat: PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached are some pictures...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,176 Posts
I would treat as sore mouth. wear glives as it is contagious. Wash well..getting scabs cleaned up with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Dry well and apply Tomorrow mastitis treatment or nustock. clean a few times a day and reapply treatment. ...

·
2,359 Posts
Good ol NuStock. The wonder sulfur cream. Looks to be an Orf virus but that could turn into staph. However- I think Orf usually begins on the hairless areas of the mouth. Not much to do but treat for a secondary infection like staph so the NuStock will keep the germs controlled. It could be a mite issue.. and again.. NuStock will knock them out dead.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for asking. I did some research on sore mouth and it looks like it is one of those things that you just have to wait out and it will go away shortly. I have not been able to get my hands on nustock so have been spraying iodine at least once a day. I think that will help keep it from getting infected and dry the scabs out...Shortly after the doe in the picture (Saphira) got it I noticed my other doe (Juniper) had similar symptoms on her chin as well. It seems like the scabs are going away now so I will keep you all updated. I will maybe see if I can order some Nustock online... Thanks for your advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.